diy solar

diy solar

Idiots guide to AIO?

Alwynrm

Hi All,

Most of this forum is dedicated to AIO units from Growwatt, EASun, etc, which are essentially all very similar units with a similar instruction manual and setup, however, I'm finding it really difficult to get straight answers on what some of the options mean/do as well as what I have experienced in trying to learn all this stuff. As an example, only bulk charging seems to actually matter on LiFePo4 batteries, so we should set the float settings to low, etc.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I think we need to put together an idiots guide to configuring these damn things - I know I've struggled and so have countless others.

Am I right in thinking that there isn't such a thing already anywhere? If not, then I'd appreciate some help in putting something together. Anyone up for helping?

Al

I have found the user manual to be fairly helpful. Some users don't know what they want to do in regards to how hard or easy they want to treat their batteries. Far be it from me to tell someone, "you should charge to 3.50v per cell" when they need to learn enough to decide for themselves.

I think it would be helpful to go over some of the key settings and describe the type of decision making that needs to be made with each setting.

I'm not sure I'm saying you must do X, but in your example, you could say something like, if you want to preserve the life of your batteries, then you should charge between 10-90% state of charge. This means you set X value for the lower boundary, and Y value for the upper limit. For a 24v system this would be XXX and for a 48v system this would be YYY". If you want to push your batteries hard, then go to a 5-100% model, which reduces the lifespan...yada yada...

I'm not sure I'm saying you must do X, but in your example, you could say something like, if you want to preserve the life of your batteries, then you should charge between 10-90% state of charge. This means you set X value for the lower boundary, and Y value for the upper limit. For a 24v system this would be XXX and for a 48v system this would be YYY". If you want to push your batteries hard, then go to a 5-100% model, which reduces the lifespan...yada yada...
Do understand that teaching an idiot may be a bigger challenge than setting up an AIO? My work experience is you can't make him/her drink.

I likely will do a review of my EAsun unit in a week. (Hooked it up yesterday for the first time) Need time to chase down what various options are supposed to do and if they really do as stated. I am running mine with AGM SLA batteries so can not provide any insight towards LiFePO4 parameters.

One issue I have already found on my unit is the low battery voltage set point can not be adjusted upwards and stick in the programing. You can adjust it lower (which would be worse for preventing battery over discharge) and it stays. However every time I set it at the voltage I want it (24.2vDC) it reverts back to the 22.8vDC default setting.

Another issue that needs to be kept in mind is the AIO's watt consumption during the day. My Easun (iSolar MLV 3KW-U) varies with loading but even at idle it appears to be greater than 50 watts. (50watt over 14 hours nigh time would be 700wh) Not allowing for that can mean a dead battery over night or even an increase in the grid electric bill for powering the unit doing nothing.

I agree a guide to all the settings and a better explanation of why you should select one over another would be of benefit to people.

I likely will do a review of my EAsun unit in a week. (Hooked it up yesterday for the first time) Need time to chase down what various options are supposed to do and if they really do as stated. I am running mine with AGM SLA batteries so can not provide any insight towards LiFePO4 parameters.

One issue I have already found on my unit is the low battery voltage set point can not be adjusted upwards and stick in the programing. You can adjust it lower (which would be worse for preventing battery over discharge) and it stays. However every time I set it at the voltage I want it (24.2vDC) it reverts back to the 22.8vDC default setting.

Another issue that needs to be kept in mind is the AIO's watt consumption during the day. My Easun (iSolar MLV 3KW-U) varies with loading but even at idle it appears to be greater than 50 watts. (50watt over 14 hours nigh time would be 700wh) Not allowing for that can mean a dead battery over night or even an increase in the grid electric bill for powering the unit doing nothing.

I agree a guide to all the settings and a better explanation of why you should select one over another would be of benefit to people.
My Growatts are over 50watts idle as well.

It might be helpful to avoid making the guide product specific. I mean (for example) describe modes like UPS mode, Solar priority mode, etc, then have a cross reference to specific models that will tell what program setting/label that it is and what the values are. Again back to the manual....there are details in the manual that trying to duplicate, just wouldn't make sense, as duplication of the truth is often a moving target.

Sorta hard to explain an off grid device that uses grid power for full functionality. Really need a new designation for some of these things. They are AC UPS, battery chargers, inverters and SCC.

Perhaps the "On/Off grid solar AIO" no grid tie.

I totally get what your asking here but as you can see from the responses your not likely to get concise answer.
The best resource Ive found is still some of Will's videos. He swats away the nonsense and directly answers the questions. In fact, for a first time setup Id probably choose one of the units he actually tested and one of the EG4 batteries he also reviewed.

I totally get what your asking here but as you can see from the responses your not likely to get concise answer.
Exactly, I have posted a few questions that have gone unanswered and the ones that were answered were not concise, I had to search out the answers. I did put everything I found in one thread so the next person that looks will find it easier

Good Luck

Back