diy solar

diy solar

Idle 'no load' Consumption: Specs vs Your Personal Observation

Its pretty cool that you've gathered/kept detailed data on conversion efficiency. How are you measuring/tracking this?
The PV input number is from Midnite Classic 150s The Inverter output (power consumed) is from cheap ebay meters on each 120v leg of the AIMS.
1638655972472.png

Efficiency % = "Ebay Meter Kwh" / "Midnite Classinc PV Kwh".

I understand there is a bit of fuzziness - such as 1%? loss in charge/discharge of 18650 powerwall - but I believe it's negligible and AIMS is the major efficiency loss.

I'm retired and this is one of my major hobbies :)

Last edited:
I run 2 x AIMS 12,000w (48v) inverters. Each one can supply 240v@50a.

The manual says 200w idle consumption in the mode most commonly used and the mode I use....
View attachment 74526

WoW ! I like AIMS but 200 watts ?!? Too high (for me)

At 200 watts idle, it will cut into the peak efficiency some. Usually the idle (like 40 watts) would be more of an issue with low power efficiency only.

Can't they turn off the second inverter when it is not needed ?

Or, is each inverter 120VAC only ?

WoW ! I like AIMS but 200 watts ?!? Too high (for me)
It has this 40w idle mode - that probes the load side to see if anything is asking for current and then turns on. However, the load has to be above a certain threshold, so things like a bathroom 60w led would not be enough for it know to turn on. I've never tried it but come to think of it I always have load due to 24/7 computer server(s) - but not sure it would affect overall efficiency.

**I should set this up and try it next year and compare stats.

At 200 watts idle, it will cut into the peak efficiency some. Usually the idle (like 40 watts) would be more of an issue with low power efficiency only.

Can't they turn off the second inverter when it is not needed ?

Or, is each inverter 120VAC only ?
AIMS is US 240v/120v split-phase. Each leg is on all the time. Each AIMS is separate / they don't have any ability to share/cooperate.

That's one of the things (I read) about MagnaSine... you can have up to 4? or 6? of them that auto-cooperate in the sense that as the load gets too high for a single one, it will auto-turn-on the 2nd one, and 3rd one, and so on - which can lead to high efficiency.

Last edited:
@SpongeboB Sinewave @Tecnodave I'm going to split off your side conversation into its own thread, I'd like to keep this topic uncluttered so people interested in idle consumption can quickly scan/read through others experiences, the more off topic convo, the less practical that becomes.

Great idea ! It has become a bit of a ragchew session. Did not mean to wander off topic.

ISolar SMV III 3K-24

idle 40 watt inverter on
no power save
0 watt inverter off solar charge / utility charge on

Reactions: Dzl
Giandel PS-1200JCR Pure Sine
12V
1200W
12.8V battery voltage, .37A measured= 4.7W at zero load
Advertised no-load current: 0.7-0.9A
Advertised efficiency: 90%

I ran this inverter only when needed for ~3 years. 3+ years ago I experimented for a month or so with it on 24/7, and it’s been on 24/7 since April 2021. I’m pleased.
It wasn’t until recently I realized how low it’s idle consumption is.

1. SAMLEX PST 3000-24 (24 Volt Version)
  2. 120V
  3. 3000 Watt ratung
  4. 1.1 Amp Idle Actual approx 27 watts (1 amp idle Rating approx 24 watts)
  5. No power save except for me shutting it off when not in use via remote switch
  6. Efficiency not yet measured

- Giandel 2200w pure sine
- 12v input
- 120v output
- 16 watts idle power consumption.
- Spec sheet claims 2 amps (about 25w) standby.

Reactions: Dzl
Xantrex Prowatt SW1000
  1. 12Vdc in,120Vac out
  2. High Frequency, sine
  3. 900W continuous (verified), 2000W surge
  4. 4.5W (0.35A) idle consumption
Powerjack "5000" watt
  1. 12Vdc in, 110/220Vac split phase out
  2. Low Frequency
  3. 1500W continuous, pretty good surge capability (3kW?)
  4. 12.0W (0.96A @ 12.6V) idle consumption
  5. Has search mode. Have not measured average idle consumption in search mode.

Must 3kW AIO - PV1800 VMPK.
Spec: <20W
Measured (with a Victron Smartshunt, everything disconnected except the AIO and the shunt) ~30W.
And, of course, the two batteries' BMSs.

So unless the shunt/BMSs draw 10W and/or I have some runaway current, the specs are "optimistic".
-

Back