diy solar

diy solar

If no sun for a week... Can i hook power supply

barnbiketom

If i need to charge up my AmpereTime battery in a no sun spell, can i hook my power supply to the battery without unhooking the other stuff.
Mppt controller/ leads for shunt etc..

Yes you can have multiple independent charging sources along with multiple independent loads all connected and operating at random.

If i need to charge up my AmpereTime battery in a no sun spell, can i hook my power supply to the battery without unhooking the other stuff.
Mppt controller/ leads for shunt etc..
Yes. I have a small DIY generator and the battery, loads, MPPT charger, and power supply leads all hook up to one bus.

I can plug my power supply or AC charger to the leads (which tie to the bus) and it all works out.

The power gets distributed/compensated as needed, just be careful your wires, connectors, and fuses are all within operating range of the total current passing through the system and watch for heat issues in the extreme cases.

For no sun spells, I’ve used my RVs converter. This is only a 15 amp charger, and my batteries should have a 60 amp charger. Although underpowered, it meets the requirements of proper wiring and fuses. It won’t fully recharge the battery alone, the extra amperage does gives me enough amperage to make it through to the next day. Depending on th SOC, I may need to run it between 1 - 4 hours.

Back