diy solar

diy solar

If you have a functionality problem on the forum, read this before messaging me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
If you have functionality issues on this forum, message me a screenshot of your problem (specifically, on multiple devices or browsers). If you do not provide actual evidence of your problem, I will ignore the message. This is because I have received multiple "false alarms" this month.

This is what usually happens:

1. Someone emails me saying that the forum will not load, or they cannot access something. They are usually mad/stressed out, and want me to fix it instantly.

2. I will freak out, and stop everything I am doing. I will run server/file database diagnostics tests, check server logs, check if the site is up internationally, etc. (And guess what? Everything looks perfect on my end, every time.)

3. Person emails me back a week later saying "oops it was my fault. I had a program running that blocked elements from loading" etc.

So I freaked out for no reason, wasted hours of my day trying to diagnose a non-existent problem, tired myself out and usually stopped filming/editing a video I am currently working on etc. HUGE waste of time. I am not letting this happen anymore.

So the problem is not the forum, but it is the person using the forum. They have some form of ad blocker or cookie blocker, or something that is blocking various things from loading on the site. That's all I can figure. If someone can screenshot a problem on multiple browsers or devices, then I am sure I can fix it in a matter of seconds. This is a dead simple forum program, and I can modify/change anything on it.

So from now on, any complaints will be ignored unless the person can provide evidence of the problem. If something is awry, I will work 24/7 till it is solved.

So the problem is not the forum, but it is the person using the forum. They have some form of ad blocker or cookie blocker, or something that is blocking various things from loading on the site. That's all I can figure. If someone can screenshot a problem on multiple browsers or devices, then I am sure I can fix it in a matter of seconds.
This is just good general troubleshooting advice.

When a site won't load or loads wrong, before assuming its the site try on a different browser (or at least a "safe browsing" mode or separate profile with all extensions disabled) and ideally a separate device before assuming the problem is server side (the website). For example if you use Firefox open the same website in Chromium, Chrome or Safari or vice versa. 3/4 time or more, this shows me the problem is on my end, and usually its due to an extension or browser issue. On the rare occasion that it is a broader problem these steps help narrow it down and make troubleshooting easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back