diy solar

diy solar

Im getting a solar panel and want to make sure it will work with my setup. Is this accurate?

Goombah111

Im messaging the guy and he said I can hook up these 46v panels to a 12v system, wouldnt that lower the wattage down to almost 1/4? If not, how do i hook it up to my controller. If so, I need a 36v system right? Thank you, image of texts below.

Comb22052021140729.jpg

Im messaging the guy and he said I can hook up these 46v panels to a 12v system, wouldnt that lower the wattage down to almost 1/4? If not, how do i hook it up to my controller. If so, I need a 36v system right? Thank you, image of texts below.

View attachment 50033
Your guy is an idiot.
That's a fake MPPT which is really PWM and junk. Do not buy.

You can use 46Voc panels with a real MPPT on a 12V battery but it is going to cost more than $20

Your guy is an idiot.
That's a fake MPPT which is really PWM and junk. Do not buy.

You can use 46Voc panels with a real MPPT on a 12V battery but it is going to cost more than $20
Oh no! How can you tell? Teach me to identify real MPPT from PWM fakes. Ive been using this one for a while now, do I just test the output volts/amps to see if its modulating? Can you tell from the picture or have you just seen this specific controller before?

Thanks for letting me know, going to look into this! Is this 2000w inverter fake too?Screenshot_20210522-151649.jpg

Edit: it seems I should be able to tell by opening up my controller and looking for an inductor, is that true?

Last edited:
I think I found a true MPPT charge controller, does anyone know if this is/looks legit?

image.png

It would be better to provide a little knowledge to the eBay add so folks can see all the pix and info.

But what are you trying to do with your solar setup?

If you are trying to reduce your electric bill by buying cheap equipment, you will find that very hard to do in the long run.

Or are you trying to charge batteries for RV or remote power?
Some backstory will help provide info for good solutions to your goals.

It would be better to provide a little knowledge to the eBay add so folks can see all the pix and info.

But what are you trying to do with your solar setup?

If you are trying to reduce your electric bill by buying cheap equipment, you will find that very hard to do in the long run.

Or are you trying to charge batteries for RV or remote power?
Some backstory will help provide info for good solutions to your goals.
I found that this "MPPT" charger is actually a lie. It's most likely NOT a true MPPT controller. I found a real MPPT controller and am all set now, thank you very much for responding.

EDIT: If anyone is wondering which one I'm going with, here it is. I assume it's legit based on the inductor, supposedly for step-down DC/DC conversion.

image.png

Last edited:
I think I found a true MPPT charge controller, does anyone know if this is/looks legit?

image.png
A 70A MPPT for only $65 is highly dubious.
What Amp MPPT are you using or think you need?
How many panels do you have? Watts?

Im beginning to think this charge controller may not be true MPPT either even with the inductor. Will let the forum know if I end up buying it.

I found that this "MPPT" charger is actually a lie. It's most likely NOT a true MPPT controller. I found a real MPPT controller and am all set now, thank you very much for responding.

EDIT: If anyone is wondering which one I'm going with, here it is. I assume it's legit based on the inductor, supposedly for step-down DC/DC conversion.

image.png
The pictures on the right indicate EPEVER TRACER 2210 (10A), but the unit on the right is not EPEVER.
70A MPPT for $65 got to be scam.

You have an extraordinary ability to pick out junky MPPT SCCs?

What Amp MPPT are you using or think you need?

How many panels do you have? Watts?
:p
I have no MPPT at the moment, it's apparently a PWM and it's 30a.
I am upgrading my system and want a controller that can handle the addition of more panels in the future.
Right now I'm using a homemade 16v 4a solar panel but am getting a 230w 46v 5a panel soon. That will translate to <15a at 12v which is my current setup, probably will go for a 24-48v setup in the future but I'm still fairly inexperienced and lacking funds hence the crappy controllers.

Back