diy solar

diy solar

I'm interested in Diy solar need some input.

jdmcbuilt

Hello all.

I've done a lot of research and I know how many watts I'll need to run a portion of my home.

Most of the circuits I'm trying to run solar are my general outlets.

All my 240v circuits will remain on the grid.

So from my understanding I'll need about 4500 watt PV array. I'll have a 20kwh lithium battery bank for my night time use and the inverter will also be tied to the grid for back up.

My question is what inverter would you suggest?
Keep in mind of future expansion to get my 240v appliances off grid at some point.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't really think there are enough details in your post to offer any advice.
Are you looking for an all-in-one or discreet components? (Separate battery inverter/charge controller)
Are you looking to looking for something that will automatically transfer back to grid power when you battery/solar run low? Or maybe you want to do this manually? Or have an inverter that stays connected to the grid constantly, even while covering loads.

Where are you and who is the power company? Are you going to get permits? Grid tied? Do you have net metering available from your power company?

Welcome to the forum!

I don't really think there are enough details in your post to offer any advice.
Are you looking for an all-in-one or discreet components? (Separate battery inverter/charge controller)
Are you looking to looking for something that will automatically transfer back to grid power when you battery/solar run low? Or maybe you want to do this manually? Or have an inverter that stays connected to the grid constantly, even while covering loads.

Where are you and who is the power company? Are you going to get permits? Grid tied? Do you have net metering available from your power company?
No permits required under 10kw PV array. I'm in Arizona with SRP.

All in one preferred. It will be tied to the main panel for times that I don't have enough sun or battery.

Eventually I'd like to expand and get some of my 240v appliances over to solar of course with more panels.

So how much power will the portion of the house be drawing?
Any load with high in-rush current, I.E. fridge, pump, A/C, etc?
About 3000 to 4000 watts if we have everything on. Which is unlikely.

The solar wouldn't power anything that requires a high draw. My electric stove, water heater, 4ton 18seer HVAC, and washer/dryer won't be included in this first step of going solar.... Baby steps lol I'm not a full believer yet so that's why I'm not going all in just yet. Would like to get an inverter I can expand

Im running a Sungold 10K split inverter 120/240 Low Frequency inverter 24 Volt that does everything you stated.Im running 12 QCELL 325 Watt PV panels.And 6 Redodo 12 volt 200ah in series.15k battery storage.This has been on line since Jan 23 and running perfectly. The only thing I would have different is go to 48v system.This system is running 1300 sq house 3 refrigerators and a microwave all house plugs and lighting.No
A/C Loads just ceiling Fans.All remaining Loads are powered come from the grid.

Last edited:
Im running a Sungold 10K split inverter 120/240 Low Frequency inverter 24 Volt that does everything you stated.Im running 12 QCELL 325 Watt PV panels.And 6 Redodo 12 volt 200ah in series.15k battery storage.This has been on line since Jan 23 and running perfectly. The only thing I would have different is go to 48v system.This system is running 1300 sq house 3 refrigerators and a microwave all house plugs and lighting.No
I'm assuming your happy with the sungold, have you experienced any issues with it? Do you have your inverter still tied to the grid?

IT is tied to grid only if need to charge batteries Because of poor solar days or battery failure.Have been running off grit 24/7 for months now.Also Low frequency inverters consume more energy than High frequency inverters.LF I think are more reliable less problems. My total cost was 9000 for all equip.and wiring.

IT is tied to grid only if need to charge batteries Because of poor solar days or battery failure.Have been running off grit 24/7 for months now.Also Low frequency inverters consume more energy than High frequency inverters.LF I think are more reliable less problems. My total cost was 9000 for all equip.and wiring.
Appreciate your input.

If No permits required, Deye 8k is the best, the inverter is the same as Sol Ark 12k. I have it running more than 2 years without any issues

Last edited:
If No permits required, Deye 8k is the best, the inverter is the same as Sol Ark 12k. I have it running more than 2 years without any issues
No permits needed if the PV array is under 10kw
The inverter needs to be certified
And installed by a certified electrician. Which my neighbor is lol
Is this inverter etl/ul certified?

@Solarmadness Is 15kwh of battery more than enough for you?

Last edited:
Another option would be the eg4 6548 inverter.
It will handle up to 6500W 120V loads, will run off exclusive solar when batteries are full, and can be added to, for 240V loads in the future...
AND it is inexpensive.
However it cannot handle large surges from motor loads, and it has a heavy 70W standby draw.

Another option would be the eg4 6548 inverter.
It will handle up to 6500W 120V loads, will run off exclusive solar when batteries are full, and can be added to, for 240V loads in the future...
AND it is inexpensive.
However it cannot handle large surges from motor loads, and it has a heavy 70W standby draw.
Only problem is that one of my circuits I'm going to have on the solar sub panel will have 1-240v breaker for my pool pump and led lights. It's a variable speed pump. Which never pulls a huge draw.

Back