diy solar

diy solar

I'm looking for a micro-system for bike packing

Yurtdweller

Solar Enthusiast
Micro inverter/charger for bike packing?
I am planning a bike packing trip overseas. I want to buy a battery when I get there, so that I don't risk having it denied at the airport. I will already be carrying drone batteries and other gadget batteries, so I can't really bring another battery. I need something to act as a cc and I want to output both 5v and 110v. Now, I know there are a lot of devices with USB outputs connected directly to solar panels, and I may use one of those, but I also want to have a mini 12v system(lithium or LiFePo4) that will run a 150 watt inverter off of, like, a 300wh LiFePo4 or lithium that you can buy at home Depot or Target or any box store. Does anyone know of a one-piece gadget that acts as a solar cc(200 w solar max) for lithium, and also converts 12v to USB and 110? Basically a mini 'generator' but without a battery? Or will I just have to build it myself?

you can check the ham radio sites as well; many activities such as SOTA (summit on the air) involve efficient portable power options.
Rules can vary greatly when travelling so make sure to check out overthing ahead of time; maybe there is a way for you to "rent" some equipment at your destination (from local bike/ham radio hobbyist).

most camera/drone battery chargers do not offer dc input chargers. Most are designed for 110v AC input only.
What about USB-C or something? Sometimes its easier to find USB charging than DC/12V, but then all you need is a DC powered USB hub. I don't have a drone or profressional camera, but I charge all my devices via 12V DC --> USB --> Device, including laptop, rechargeable batteries, etc. USB-C PD (power delivery) can delivery up to 100W / 20V if the source and recipient both support it.

bike as in pedal or motor?
Bikepacking usually (or always) implies bicycle I believe.

Just out of curiosity, what is the 110V AC for?
Everything you mentioned runs on DC.
Both my phone(warp charge) and my drone batteries charge faster on 110. I may have to forget about inverting, though. It's not strictly necessary. Planning to get an action cam, too. Fast charging is not strictly necessary, but it provides more options if you happen to have more pv than battery.

Last edited:
Both my phone(warp charge) and my drone batteries charge faster on 110.
Fast charging is not strictly necessary, but it provides more options if you happen to have more pv than battery.
I would not want to give up fast charge, but I found it was not a problem to find fast charging direct from DC.
I think that technically the power can come from anywhere, fast charging is negotiated by the charger and the device, where the charger gets its power is irrelevant, since the charger is converting to DC anyways. But in a practical sense, there may or may not be a DC fast charger available for oneplus phones, I have a pixel which uses USB-PD protocol which is a standardized protocol for power delivery and fast charging, I think OnePlus chose to go with some proprietary charging protocol, so you would need to either (1) find a car charger for oneplus that supports fast charging (2) find out if your oneplus supports other fast charge protocols (Qualcomm, USB-PD, etc) or (3) go with your inverter solution and accept the efficiency penalty and the opportunity cost of space. Pros and cons to either approach probably

Spend a little time researching the USB "Power Delivery" standard, its really making it much simpler and more efficient/quick to charge a ton of different types of devices/batteries via USB. A single charger and cable can now cover voltages from 3-20V and up to 100W. My little cigarette lighter charger can quick charge my phone, charge my laptop at full speed, charge my headlamp batteries, charge my powerbank, etc. Not sure about a drone though.

edit: looks like oneplus sells a car charger that they advertise as being capable of the same power as the warp charge 30 wall adapter

Any $20 110w msw inverter should do for battery chargers etc. I've had the same one in my cars for 20yrs for laptops and hair clippers. I cut the plug off and hard wired it so there's no connection problems.

Samlex makes a very compact 120W inverter. 4 x 7.5 x 1.2
Has a single 110v outlet, and a USB-A port. Pure Sine, Reputable Brand. There are probably others, I haven't looked at the super small inverters much.

But I still think DC is the way to go if you can find a way to make it work. Car/Cig socket is more compact, more simple, and avoids the wasted energy of an inverter.

I would not want to give up fast charge, but I found it was not a problem to find fast charging direct from DC.
I think that technically the power can come from anywhere, fast charging is negotiated by the charger and the device, where the charger gets its power is irrelevant, since the charger is converting to DC anyways. But in a practical sense, there may or may not be a DC fast charger available for oneplus phones, I have a pixel which uses USB-PD protocol which is a standardized protocol for power delivery and fast charging, I think OnePlus chose to go with some proprietary charging protocol, so you would need to either (1) find a car charger for oneplus that supports fast charging (2) find out if your oneplus supports other fast charge protocols (Qualcomm, USB-PD, etc) or (3) go with your inverter solution and accept the efficiency penalty and the opportunity cost of space. Pros and cons to either approach probably

Spend a little time researching the USB "Power Delivery" standard, its really making it much simpler and more efficient/quick to charge a ton of different types of devices/batteries via USB. A single charger and cable can now cover voltages from 3-20V and up to 100W. My little cigarette lighter charger can quick charge my phone, charge my laptop at full speed, charge my headlamp batteries, charge my powerbank, etc. Not sure about a drone though.

edit: looks like oneplus sells a car charger that they advertise as being capable of the same power as the warp charge 30 wall adapter
Hey thanks. I'll admit I googled warp charging a little, but my mind locked onto a clunky idea, and missed this as an option. Just to save weight, I'll probably drop the inverter idea, but 40 minutes of drone flight is, like, 4 hours or more on USB. Idk. Probably, by the time my packs are loaded, I'll decide the extra pound of gear isn't worth it:)

Micro inverter/charger for bike packing?
I am planning a bike packing trip overseas. I want to buy a battery when I get there, so that I don't risk having it denied at the airport. I will already be carrying drone batteries and other gadget batteries, so I can't really bring another battery. I need something to act as a cc and I want to output both 5v and 110v. Now, I know there are a lot of devices with USB outputs connected directly to solar panels, and I may use one of those, but I also want to have a mini 12v system(lithium or LiFePo4) that will run a 150 watt inverter off of, like, a 300wh LiFePo4 or lithium that you can buy at home Depot or Target or any box store. Does anyone know of a one-piece gadget that acts as a solar cc(200 w solar max) for lithium, and also converts 12v to USB and 110? Basically a mini 'generator' but without a battery? Or will I just have to build it myself?
You've probably already considered the solar chargers out there like Jackery, but of course they have a battery inside. I'm into e-bike camping trips and I just love that it has the MPPT, inverter, USB's and display all in a fairly compact package. What if you shipped yourself a Jackery 300 and picked it up after landing? Or maybe I would buy a cheaper brand and see if I can open the case and remove the battery myself - this does sound like a messy option.

I am considering buying a Ryobi inverter. They have one that fits standard Ryobi batteries, which are obviously available at home stores, and we know that these batteries can take a real beating. I only need to figure out the right charge controller for 18 volts lithium. Unfortunately, the trip has been delayed by the current travel climate, and changes to my schedule, but I will continue to prepare so that I might be ready at my next opportunity. I did consider shipping my tech goodies down there and back, but shipping batteries by air is also difficult to do legally. I would have to order such items and have them shipped direct from the seller, I think. My chosen destination is Hawaii, btw. I probably could find a friend to receive my stuff, or have it sent to a UPS store.

I think using power tool batteries is a nice idea considering their ubiquitous availability. I wish Bosch had something as that is my primary tool system and the batteries have been great.

Not released yet, but looks like Ryobi is planning on producing this 18v inverter+charger that looks to charge from USB-C:
https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396035356

Then they also kind of indicate this 21W folding solar panel would work with the charger:
https://www.ryobitools.ca/products/details/21w-solar-panel
"Need to charge your RYOBI 18V ONE+ battery? Simply plug in a RYOBI inverter with battery charging capability. "

Personally, I have the Samlex PST-120-12 and, after using it in the car twice on road trips, like it so far. Input battery is 10v-16.5v so that could be good or bad depending on your point of view -> means LiFePO4 battery and 12v solar panels work great, just may not be easily found locally at travel destination.
https://samlexamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/12001-PST-120-12-1119_Hrez.pdf

Thanks for pointing out that the inverter also includes a charger. I had not yet had time to check the product in detail, having only seen the one my neighbor owns. I'll bet the Ryobi Official PV is going to be overpriced, but I could be wrong. I could, of course, use that Samlex, and go to wally world and buy a couple cheap 12v batteries. This was my original plan. I'll be number crunching prices, and system total weight before I decide. The 12v system will probably be cheaper, but I'll bet the Ryobi System is more robust, and possibly lighter and more convenient. I can probably also resell the Ryobi batteries before I depart, rather than junking them. I wonder if a big home store would rent me the Ryobi System? That would likely be ideal. I'll check on that.

Back