diy solar

diy solar

I'm new with lithium

If you can set no float time, and 14.6 is what your battery manufacturer recommends you are good to go

My two banks of LFP cells are still on the bench being prepped with compression frames and BMS and active balancer but not yet in service. Still testing.

As i have the veritable Rolls Surette battery i'm in no rush to replace the Rolls Royce of batteries with chinese no name cells

The one most important thing is to get the manufacturer data sheet and use that, nothing overrules that

I do not know where you got 14.6....

the guide lines of the manufacturers should not be exceeded

@MisterSandals

The outback does have a toggle to turn off e.q.
Also important is turn off temp comp, this is for lead only
Leaving the temp sensor connected will protect from high temp

RVLiFe has experience with the battery you have. His numbers sound spot on to me. I am a conservative charger and only charge to 13.8V but he says 14V works great so go with that.

Set your top charge voltage (is it called absorb?) to 14.0V (this is a nice conservative charge).
Set your float to 13.5V (this is conservative too). You can always adjust these is 15 seconds, 20 times a day if you like to tinker.
Set equalization to off if it has that ability. Many systems you have to set equalization time to 0 (zero minutes).

What else ya got that you're not sure about?

These numbers tell your charger when to stop. Your BMS values should cover the battery voltage extremes (cell top 3.65V bottom 2.5V). A little conservative can be 3.60V top and 2.8V bottom. This is the safety disconnect to protect your batteries.
Ok yes! So my charger will stop when its done charging with the settings you recommend. So once it hits the float stage it will only supply current for 15 seconds and just shut off again? So basically stopping charge automatically? Im bad at asking questions lol

Ok yes! So my charger will stop when its done charging with the settings you recommend. So once it hits the float stage it will only supply current for 15 seconds and just shut off again? So basically stopping charge automatically? Im bad at asking questions lol
Not exactly but you're close.
The absorb is the top voltage charge. When it hits absorb, if it has an absorb time, it will stay there and soak up the power at that voltage. This puts on a good charge. Its like letting a sponge soak up until its full... but based on time. Some battery manufacturers specify a voltage and absorb time. I think the SOK at 14.6V was over the top unless you needed to squeeze every bit out of your batteries (like you are trying to make your specs seem really high).
Once it hits that top charge, it will stop charging and your batteries will settle to their resting state or until they get down to your float voltage. The float voltage is like the minimum state of readiness of maintain voltage.
I think there are a couple different float strategies. If you are using your batteries all the time, like living in an RV with a fridge running and continually using power, then a higher float value is better. Something like 13.6V for example.
I have my RV in my driveway too much of the time. I have my float voltage BELOW where my cells tend to settle so that it does not "micro-cycle" over and over all day long. My cells settle to around 3.35V after a full charge. I float around 3.32V and it take several days for them to get down here so its not much extra wear and tear on the battery.

Make sense? There are different ways to do things and a lot of it depends on how you intend to use your batteries. And also on your battery beliefs. My battery beliefs are conservative. Some folks beat the crap out of their batteries and charge to 14.4V every day (a full time RVer) and thats great. He's been doing it for 6 years and is completely satisfied.

So keep that in mind. Set your settings conservatively. If they're not doing what you like or want, come back here and tell use whats up and we'll see if there are things that can be changed to meet your goals.

Start conservative. Lower all the high voltages down to 14.0V and sleep assured at night. Turn equalization off and equalization time to zero just to be sure. Set float down to meet your state of readiness (ask if that was not clear above). 13.4V if a good conservative float, 13.6V not outrageous either.

Even though SOK says 14.6v, I wouldn’t charge that high for normal day to day use. But you do you. We all need to learn the hard way sometimes. ?

Not exactly but you're close.
The absorb is the top voltage charge. When it hits absorb, if it has an absorb time, it will stay there and soak up the power at that voltage. This puts on a good charge. Its like letting a sponge soak up until its full... but based on time. Some battery manufacturers specify a voltage and absorb time. I think the SOK at 14.6V was over the top unless you needed to squeeze every bit out of your batteries (like you are trying to make your specs seem really high).
Once it hits that top charge, it will stop charging and your batteries will settle to their resting state or until they get down to your float voltage. The float voltage is like the minimum state of readiness of maintain voltage.
I think there are a couple different float strategies. If you are using your batteries all the time, like living in an RV with a fridge running and continually using power, then a higher float value is better. Something like 13.6V for example.
I have my RV in my driveway too much of the time. I have my float voltage BELOW where my cells tend to settle so that it does not "micro-cycle" over and over all day long. My cells settle to around 3.35V after a full charge. I float around 3.32V and it take several days for them to get down here so its not much extra wear and tear on the battery.

Make sense? There are different ways to do things and a lot of it depends on how you intend to use your batteries. And also on your battery beliefs. My battery beliefs are conservative. Some folks beat the crap out of their batteries and charge to 14.4V every day (a full time RVer) and thats great. He's been doing it for 6 years and is completely satisfied.

So keep that in mind. Set your settings conservatively. If they're not doing what you like or want, come back here and tell use whats up and we'll see if there are things that can be changed to meet your goals.

Start conservative. Lower all the high voltages down to 14.0V and sleep assured at night. Turn equalization off and equalization time to zero just to be sure. Set float down to meet your state of readiness (ask if that was not clear above). 13.4V if a good conservative float, 13.6V not outrageous either.
Thank you very much! That is what i wanted to know!

Back