diy solar

diy solar

Importance of connection order

Alonzo

I have a Renogy suitcase portable solar kit. The instructions stress the importance of connecting the controller to the battery before allowing the panels to produce to the controller. I have a quick connect on the RV, so I just plug in the controller before I set the panels up.

I want to put a different permanently mounted panel and controller up on my RV carport and just plug it in to the quick connect to keep the battery charged while parked at home. Since the panel will be producing all the time as it will be mounted on the roof of the carport, how can I follow the proper sequence of hookup?

I thought about putting a switch inline between the panel and the controller. Will that work? Is there a problem with allowing the panel to produce when the current is not going anywhere?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

A switch in one of the pv leads will do it. No issue with the current not going anywhere with that size panel.
Even though the unit is 12v the charge controller would probably be a 12v/24v pwm model so it will need the battery voltage to determine the charging voltage.
You could skip the switch and just hookup at night. When I go camping with my generic China brand I just turn the panel away from the sun when hooking up the battery.

Thanks to you both for your responses.

When I set up my portable panel at the campsite, I just lay it face down until the controller is plugged into the camper battery. This panel will be mounted on the carport and always producing, during daylight hours.

I'll just mount a simple switch close to the controller on the carport. Would a standard household outdoor light switch work okay?

Also, would 12 ga. low voltage outdoor landscape wire work from the panel to the controller for 20' or so? I'll try to find 10 ga. for the short run from controller to battery.

Thanks again.

Thanks to you both for your responses.

When I set up my portable panel at the campsite, I just lay it face down until the controller is plugged into the camper battery. This panel will be mounted on the carport and always producing, during daylight hours.

I'll just mount a simple switch close to the controller on the carport. Would a standard household outdoor light switch work okay?

Also, would 12 ga. low voltage outdoor landscape wire work from the panel to the controller for 20' or so? I'll try to find 10 ga. for the short run from controller to battery.

Thanks again.

The wire gauge may work, but not the switch. That's a standard AC switch. You need a DC switch.

If the panel has an MC4 connector you're probably going to want to put an MC4 connector on the wire also. Standard AC wire isn't rated for sun exposure. Make sure whatever wire you use is PV rated.

Back