diy solar

diy solar

Impress your friends by using correct units and abbreviations

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
The following are common units and their abbreviations. Note that unit abbreviations are case-sensitive. While some units can be understood when written incorrectly, some have a completely different meaning if the wrong case is used. Avoid any possible confusion or ambiguity and use the correct case.

A - amps, a unit of electric current. Named after André-Marie Ampère.
V - volts, a unit of electric potential. Named after Alessandro Volta.
W - watts, a unit of power. Named after James Watt.
Ω - ohms, a unit of electrical resistance. Named after Georg Ohm.
h - hours
k - kilo (SI prefix for 1000)
K - Kelvin, a unit of temperature. Named after William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin. Not really relevant in solar discussions.
m - milli (SI prefix for 1/1000)
M - mega (SI prefix for 1000000)

Current is measured in amps - A
A battery's voltage is measured in volts - V
A battery's current capacity is measured in amp hours - Ah
A battery's energy capacity is measured in watt hours - Wh. Wh is simply Ah x V. Many times it is shortened to kilowatt hours - kWh. Example: 5120Wh or 5.1kWh.
An inverter is measured in watts - W. Many times a value is shortened. 4000W can be written as 4kW. Really large systems could be in megawatts (MW) or even gigawatts (GW). Small electronics might be measured in milliwatts (mW).
A wire's resistance is measured in ohms - Ω. Many times the resistance is very small such as 0.002Ω commonly written as 2mΩ (two milliohms).

--------------------------

AC vs A/C - AC is alternating current. A/C is air conditioning

--------------------------

While not a unit, one common abbreviation that should be written correctly is for Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. The correct written form is LiFePO₄ though most people find LiFePO4 is much simpler to type. LFP is a shorthand abbreviation understood in the context of this forum when discussing batteries.

Incorrect abbreviations would include LiFePO (lithium iron phosphorus oxide), LiFePo (lithium iron polonium), LiFePo4 (lithium iron tetra-polonium), LiFeP04 (using a zero instead of a capital O), LiFe (lithium iron), LifePo4 (wrong case on the F and O).

Note that there is a lithium-ion polymer battery typically written as LiPo. That is not at all the same as LiFePO₄. You do not want to confuse the two types. Though both of those types are specific examples of the more general lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries.

Last edited:
Yeah, as an engineer the mis-use of abbreviations and multipliers does grate somewhat (I even find it in supposedly "professional" equipment documentation!), although usually it's interpretable.

India opening a 100mW solar farm - Yeah, I get that, I have one on my calculator.
A 10KW heater - OK although I'm not sure what Kelvin-Watts are useful for.

Then along come the power-bank makers and specify capacity in mAh 'coz it gives a nice big number. Someone then asks "how big should a 33,000MAh power bank be?" - The size of a large building perhaps.

Last edited:
Some abbreviations that have been stumping me.
Acronyms and Abbreviations has been LOCKED so I'm dumping them here. Maybe when there are enough of them the Mods will let svetz edit the thread.

You're welcome rmaddy.;)

@Hedges
SPDT and DPDT from this thread: Help me figure this out?

@Watchamawho
RCD: Residual Current Device (similar to a GFCI): from this thread: (Another) Newbie DIY'er looking for advice.

@OzSolar
SHW: Solar Hot Water, from this thread: Drain Back systems of yester years

@Roger Olander
TOU: Time Of Use, from this thread: Switched, forced, to TOU but the utility doesn't pay for power pushed back to them.

An example of the difference and why it's an important distinction:

Consider the difference between a super capacitor and a lithium ion battery.

Per kg, a super capacitor's energy capacity is only 1/100th to 1/10th that of a lithium ion battery, but it has 10 times the power capacity of lithium ion battery.

The terms are not interchangeable.

There are style manuals for this, and they can vary a little depending on where you are and the specific field.

But in general there should be a space between the value and its accompanying unit. It's a rule I often break and I should do better.

So,

100 mm is the correct way to write it while 100mm is not.

A couple of style manuals below, no doubt there are others:

This is the Australian Government style manual for measurement and units:

And the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has this guide:

Back