diy solar

diy solar

Impress your friends with a 3kw electric kettle

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
Did you guys know our north american countertop appliances are pitifully underpowered compared to what consumers on the 230v systems enjoy?

Sure voltage isn't necessary for wattage, and we could have 30 amp 120 volt appliances but nobody has those outlets so they don't make them. Whereas in 230v countries, 15/16 amp countertop outlets are common.

Amazon.co.uk will ship internationally for a reasonable rate, and 3kw kettles are common and cheap there.

You can go NA style and change the plug on the kettle cord to a 6-15, or if you'd rather enjoy the full international experience Leviton actually makes a UK outlet that fits in a NEMA box in a decora plate.

Either way you just wire hot to hot, and what would be the british neutral to the other hot. Is that dangerous? I don't think so, because neutral is still protected and the kettles use a separate EGC. But it's probably not completely kosher by the UL listing either.

If you don't have an electric kettle and wonder why, they are good for making pour over coffee, tea, or heating some water up for a pasta pot faster than it would boil on the stove.

It brings me joy every time I press the button to hear 3kw click on.

Did you guys know our north american countertop appliances are pitifully underpowered compared to what consumers on the 230v systems enjoy?

Yep. The colonizers will readily point that out. My experience is different.

If you don't have an electric kettle and wonder why, they are good for making pour over coffee, tea, or heating some water up for a pasta pot faster than it would boil on the stove.

I do have a 1.7l 120VAC 1100W kettle, and I use it regularly.

To put this exercise in context, you save about 3 minutes @ 230VAC vs. 120VAC.

It brings me joy every time I press the button to hear 3kw click on.
I have an induction teapot that consumes less energy and boils water faster than your 3kW kettle. I do have a 240 Volt 200 Amp service panel. How big is yours?
:LOL:

Last edited:
To put this exercise in context, you save about 3 minutes @ 230VAC vs. 120VAC.
Which to me is the difference between walking away and forgetting about it, or having it done by the time you get the mug and stuff ready.
I have an induction teapot that consumes less energy and boils water faster than your 3kW kettle.
Unless they've invented tiny heat pumps, I don't believe that is possible.

Last edited:
I live in the UK and use a slow kettle. 240VAC at 900watts. It is actually made for caravans but works a treat during sunlight hours. Usually costs zero money to boil whereas the old 2.2Kilowatt beast would sometimes use grid juice. Whats the rush folks? The kettle takes a little longer to boil but whats the rush? Same folks who drive a car like a looney i reckon. :)

I have a 50 Gallon heat pump water heater that only consumes 600 Watts an hour.
I was torn between going that route and doubling down on propane. But I'm expecting within the lifespan of this water heater my kids are gonna get older and we're gonna need to supply 3-4 showers back to back in the morning.

I have an idea for the ultimate in fast coffee (espresso) brewing.
Inspired by the launch system for Trident missiles, use a (blank) small arms cartridge, fired into container of water.
That flashes the water to steam, driving it through the grounds and instantly delivering fresh brewed coffee.
(what's a little potassium nitrate in your coffee, anyway?)

1684163936124.png

Back