diy solar

diy solar

Impress your friends with a 3kw electric kettle

I have ADHD or Alzheimer's or something. The whistling kettle helps me remember.
My wife always complains when I burn the food while back at my computer on DIYSolar.
Time to make more coffee!

My cheap coffee pot takes 30 min to make a pot. I am required to have patience.

Or a timer.

I put a $3 timer on my $12 pot so it can start making my coffee before I am even awake.

My Bunn coffee pot has a reservoir that keeps the water hot for quick brewing. Since I do not like the wasted energy I have it on a digital timer to turn on before I wake up and back off 2 hours later. I use several plug in digital timers to turn off things overnight like my cellular router.

Uh ... nobody else uses a laser to heat their water/coffee, in a few femtoseconds?

www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/2018-05-15-scientists-turn-x-ray-laser-worlds-fastest-water-heater

I do have a 1.7l 120VAC 1100W kettle, and I use it regularly.

That's just a little camping kettle 1.1kw lol! I've got one in my tent

Did you guys know our north american countertop appliances are pitifully underpowered compared to what consumers on the 230v systems enjoy?

Sure voltage isn't necessary for wattage, and we could have 30 amp 120 volt appliances but nobody has those outlets so they don't make them. Whereas in 230v countries, 15/16 amp countertop outlets are common.

Amazon.co.uk will ship internationally for a reasonable rate, and 3kw kettles are common and cheap there.

You can go NA style and change the plug on the kettle cord to a 6-15, or if you'd rather enjoy the full international experience Leviton actually makes a UK outlet that fits in a NEMA box in a decora plate.

Either way you just wire hot to hot, and what would be the british neutral to the other hot. Is that dangerous? I don't think so, because neutral is still protected and the kettles use a separate EGC. But it's probably not completely kosher by the UL listing either.

If you don't have an electric kettle and wonder why, they are good for making pour over coffee, tea, or heating some water up for a pasta pot faster than it would boil on the stove.

It brings me joy every time I press the button to hear 3kw click on.

Also try toasters

Uh ... nobody else uses a laser to heat their water/coffee, in a few femtoseconds?

www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/2018-05-15-scientists-turn-x-ray-laser-worlds-fastest-water-heater

DHMO plasma, to extract all the flavor compounds from your coffee grounds!

(but do I have to lick the ceiling and walls to get my coffee after making it this way? It is bad enough when I make Turkish coffee and don't catch it before it boils over.)

I microwave my water,

So you enjoy living on the edge?

Seriously, though, suggest you put SOMETHING in the water, couple grains of coffee grounds, tea leaves, or whatever for nucleation. Or do like me, just never wash the cup. (Your 100th cup of coffee is free!)

So you enjoy living on the edge?
At 90s of microwaving, there isn't enough energy to superheat the water so I don't
worry about it. You don't want to boil the tea leaves, you just want them to steep.

In the south we have sun tea.

Although it's actually a myth ... the sun just makes the water a little warmer so it
goes a little faster than if you just leave it in the fridge without sun.
Really this is just slow brewing and it takes a few hours.

How long it takes depends on how dark you like it (don't add lemon in advance,
lemon lightens the color). Some people swear by it, but it's probably because the
tea is a low grade and full of bitter tannins. For your expensive teas, I would use hot water.
Simply-Recipes-Sun-Tea-METHOD-03.1-6c9491a9d9de4ce7ab0250a761ca7c85.jpg

Sun Tea is actually a myth!​

Did you guys know our north american countertop appliances are pitifully underpowered compared to what consumers on the 230v systems enjoy?

Sure voltage isn't necessary for wattage, and we could have 30 amp 120 volt appliances but nobody has those outlets so they don't make them. Whereas in 230v countries, 15/16 amp countertop outlets are common.

Amazon.co.uk will ship internationally for a reasonable rate, and 3kw kettles are common and cheap there.

You can go NA style and change the plug on the kettle cord to a 6-15, or if you'd rather enjoy the full international experience Leviton actually makes a UK outlet that fits in a NEMA box in a decora plate.

Either way you just wire hot to hot, and what would be the british neutral to the other hot. Is that dangerous? I don't think so, because neutral is still protected and the kettles use a separate EGC. But it's probably not completely kosher by the UL listing either.

If you don't have an electric kettle and wonder why, they are good for making pour over coffee, tea, or heating some water up for a pasta pot faster than it would boil on the stove.

It brings me joy every time I press the button to hear 3kw click on.
If you want to impress your friends and are willing to shop on Amazon U.K. to achieve it, go for a 3kW water dispenser instead. It makes a single cup of properly boiling water in 45 seconds, lights up blue inside and everything…. Your friends will love it ?

Breville HotCup Hot Water Dispenser | 3kW Fast Boil & Variable Dispense | 2.0L | Energy-efficient use | Gloss Black [VKJ318]

I have been using this exact model for the past 7 years, so they’re reliable too.. 285A from my 4S battery when run via my 12V inverter is not an easy load though, but I’m guessing you’re more sensible and have a 48v system ?

76DA80EB-84CB-4162-906A-A245B7CD9E46.jpeg

Last edited:
We have a Westinghouse hot water dispenser, enables on demand supply of boiling water one cup at a time. If you just want some heated water you can set a lower temperature.

Our general power outlets are 10 A 230 V, and it draws ~2.2 kW.

WHIHWD03SS_1-1024x1024.jpg

2.7 litres ~= 10 cups.
They have a 4 litre model as well.

My main beef with our plug in kettles is typically you put more water in than you need, so it wastes energy each time we make a cup of tea.

I live in the UK and use a slow kettle. 240VAC at 900watts. It is actually made for caravans but works a treat during sunlight hours. Usually costs zero money to boil whereas the old 2.2Kilowatt beast would sometimes use grid juice. Whats the rush folks? The kettle takes a little longer to boil but whats the rush? Same folks who drive a car like a looney i reckon. :)
I've got a 3kW kettle and a 430kW car. (EV)
Time is precious - I might be dead tomorrow (especially with that car...)

Back