diy solar

diy solar

Improving Contact Area on Welded Stud Pads

If you are getting up to 200amps then it might be worth it if done right. Have you just got 4 cells in series?
8 cells, running 24V system with inverter, but 200A would be really really pushing it.

In an RV/offroad truck, btw.

Last edited:
Welded studs was bad fix to keep production/sales going.
Hi!

Im amateur trying for long operational lifetime LiFePO4 DIY ESS. so i could be very misinform!

Increase in ability to repeatedly connect and disconnect the terminals vs tapped aluminum, that feels like a real gain to me.

however, the reduction in surface area going to the pedestal does make me less inspired.

one person did some practical tests, and posted temperatures. if i find it, will link.

anyways, 0.3C continuous discharge seems like it might be what i try to target, based on reading about the purported self heating of these type of cell.

temperature of cell material drives calendar aging strongly, so contact resistance is extra undesirable imo.

Everything may work 24/7 heated environment but I won't use welded studs in my RV.
may i ask, is it only the surface area holding you back?

went forward with 12 of these large format cells with stainless steel studs, and in person, the connection surface area look so puny and i would not want to run >100A through it without rigorously checking each connection's temperature

increased torque tolerated by stainless steel stud kinda offsets the surface area, but i dislike needing to try on sustained super tight connector, although of course will use nylon lock fastener even though they throw torque observation off a bit. me want larger surface area And strong connector!
Corrosion pastes are a temporary solution as they contain water.
have consider the mg-847?
water is not included in it as far as i'm aware
1641241708829.png
to quote their material
847 is a carbon-filled, silicone-free conductive paste. It improves electrical connections between non-moving parts in the same way a thermal paste improves thermal connections. It will not separate, bleed or migrate. This electrically conductive paste reduces contact resistance, repels moisture, inhibits corrosion, and prevents static buildup. It is thixotropic, and can be used as a gap filler to ensure grounded connections or revitalize corroded sockets.
Use 847 when you need a conductive carbon paste that combines great electrical contact with environmental protection. It is excellent for use on ground connections, battery terminals, bus bars, single pole jacks, slide connectors, HVAC connections, speaker posts, and fluorescent light pins.
  • Resistivity of 23 Ω.cm
https://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/tds/tds-847.pdf datasheet
i dont actually see it say that there is no h2o in it. dunno!
I see carbon paste being used. We never dragged carbon fiber or graphite on aluminum. Even if the alum wasn't scratch there'd be a corrosion line that would show up later. We always put isolation (plastic) sheet between Carbon Fiber and aluminum to prevent corrosion.
interesting, thank you for sharing. i have not worked with carbon fiber around graphite or aluminum. the mg-847 paste seems to clearly claim that it improves the conductivity and long term stability of connections, i wonder how the chemistry works with the grease in the mix. i have no long term testing data from using that carbon assembly paste, and plan on using it on upcoming build of 300Ah style cells with stainless steel threaded terminals to promote long term happy conduction time. as well, using crimped lugs for flexible connection of like two or three 6awg fine strand tinned copper silicone jacket conductors eg very flexible.

anyways i heard many of these class cells heat up a lot past 0.3C current with order of 10-30W internal heating and more as approaching 1C, which drives aging, so i will probably shoot for continuous 0.3C or ~100A or ~320 Watt per cell. so 1,280 W for 4 cell pack which is pretty low compared to what many people here do?

annnnyyways rambled enough, maybe i should stop typing and start building!

Hi!

Im amateur trying for long operational lifetime LiFePO4 DIY ESS. so i could be very misinform!

Increase in ability to repeatedly connect and disconnect the terminals vs tapped aluminum, that feels like a real gain to me.

however, the reduction in surface area going to the pedestal does make me less inspired.

one person did some practical tests, and posted temperatures. if i find it, will link.

anyways, 0.3C continuous discharge seems like it might be what i try to target, based on reading about the purported self heating of these type of cell.

temperature of cell material drives calendar aging strongly, so contact resistance is extra undesirable imo.

may i ask, is it only the surface area holding you back?

went forward with 12 of these large format cells with stainless steel studs, and in person, the connection surface area look so puny and i would not want to run >100A through it without rigorously checking each connection's temperature

increased torque tolerated by stainless steel stud kinda offsets the surface area, but i dislike needing to try on sustained super tight connector, although of course will use nylon lock fastener even though they throw torque observation off a bit. me want larger surface area And strong connector!

have consider the mg-847?
water is not included in it as far as i'm aware
View attachment 78161
to quote their material

https://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/tds/tds-847.pdf datasheet
i dont actually see it say that there is no h2o in it. dunno!

interesting, thank you for sharing. i have not worked with carbon fiber around graphite or aluminum. the mg-847 paste seems to clearly claim that it improves the conductivity and long term stability of connections, i wonder how the chemistry works with the grease in the mix. i have no long term testing data from using that carbon assembly paste, and plan on using it on upcoming build of 300Ah style cells with stainless steel threaded terminals to promote long term happy conduction time. as well, using crimped lugs for flexible connection of like two or three 6awg fine strand tinned copper silicone jacket conductors eg very flexible.

anyways i heard many of these class cells heat up a lot past 0.3C current with order of 10-30W internal heating and more as approaching 1C, which drives aging, so i will probably shoot for continuous 0.3C or ~100A or ~320 Watt per cell. so 1,280 W for 4 cell pack which is pretty low compared to what many people here do?

annnnyyways rambled enough, maybe i should stop typing and start building!

This is a great video on corrosion.

Keep in mind my comment about bank heated 24/7 and the lack of moisture there would be.

He's discussing 2 dissimilar metals/materials. Aluminum terminal + copper lug/bar + carbon paste (+ whatever else is in the paste one is using) on the terminals would be a min of 3 dissimilar metals/materials.

At 11:00 he makes one of the best comments about encapsulating or sealing (paste) connections. I've opened 5-10 year old connecions and seen it fail time after time.

This is a great video on corrosion.

Keep in mind my comment about bank heated 24/7 and the lack of moisture there would be.

He's discussing 2 dissimilar metals/materials. Aluminum terminal + copper lug/bar + carbon paste (+ whatever else is in the paste one is using) on the terminals would be a min of 3 dissimilar metals/materials.

At 11:00 he makes one of the best comments about encapsulating or sealing (paste) connections. I've opened 5-10 year old connecions and seen it fail time after time.

thank you, will check out this video, cheers

I hope you don't mind asking this question here.
Is the welding of the studs or the drilling/cutting of the threads done by the manufacturer of the cells?
Or is it done by the suppliers that are selling these batteries to us?
I have ordered 16 EVE 280Ah cells and they asked me after i confirmed the order which kind of welding i would prefer.
Choice was between "stud" and "screw hole".
They said they could no longer provide "threaded holes" since " .... EVE factory has stopped producing the old LF280ah for several months, so there is no threaded hole 280ah on the market now."

Is that really true?
To me it seemed that the manufacturer would sell the batteries with no preparation at all and leave that to the customer!

Can anyone share more facts about this?

Thank you very much...

Joerg

I hope you don't mind asking this question here.
Is the welding of the studs or the drilling/cutting of the threads done by the manufacturer of the cells?
Or is it done by the suppliers that are selling these batteries to us?
I have ordered 16 EVE 280Ah cells and they asked me after i confirmed the order which kind of welding i would prefer.
Choice was between "stud" and "screw hole".
They said they could no longer provide "threaded holes" since " .... EVE factory has stopped producing the old LF280ah for several months, so there is no threaded hole 280ah on the market now."

Is that really true?
To me it seemed that the manufacturer would sell the batteries with no preparation at all and leave that to the customer!

Can anyone share more facts about this?

Thank you very much...

Joerg
I'm pretty sure either the welded studs or the threaded holes are done by the sellers, not the manufacturers.

For last set of Eve 280Ah cells that I bought from Amy Wan @ Luyuan, I asked about switching from the welded studs to the threaded holes (my first batch had studs), and she said that Eve had started telling sellers that they did not recommend the threaded holes due to the risk of damage to the cell and the low strength of the threaded holes.

I think the majority of the cells from the manufacturer go to car manufacturers or other large ESS systems where the buyer has their own equipment to weld to the flat terminals of the cells.

Thank you for this information.
I also guessed that the manufacturers will leave all "customization" of the terminals to the customer.
I think the merchant where i ordered the batteries just don't want to do the drilling/tapping anymore.
It is a lot faster with the laser welding machine.
So in my case i will cancel the order if they are not willing to sell batteries with threaded holes.
I could even drill and tap myself if they think it is too costly.
Funny though, most of their latest offerings show terminals with threaded holes...

I do have a box of a couple hundred of each size (6mm and 8mm studs). If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.View attachment 62821

Well, I got thru 7 pages of this thread...are the washers the best solution? And if so do you still have any of these?
I got the 230A Eve cells with the welded sockets and grub screws. I had concerns about the small mounting area but no one mentioned anything about it.

I wouldn't mind disassembling and reassembling with the washers, and apply some oxguard on the terminals. And I have copper ring terminals on my cables. I could re-make them with tinned terminals, but gee, what a hassle.

Last edited:
If your studs look like the ones [link="[URL]https://diysolarforum.com/threads/improving-contact-area-on-welded-stud-pads.26869/post-319290[/URL]"]Stepandwolf posted[/link], then without washers you have about 64mm^2 of surface area on the aluminum to connect your busbars to.

Using a busbar current calculator, you can run a continuous 51A through that cross section with minimal temperature increase if both sides are aluminum. You can surge much higher than that, of course, but you should average 50A or less in the short terms (minutes). Note that if your busbars are copper, then your margin increases substantially - not just because the connection is lower resistance, but because the copper will soak up the heat and spread it out, increasing the speed it dissipates any heat generated at the connection. This will be somewhat offset by the reduced area of contact due to oval and slightly oversize holes in the busbar, but I expect the copper to more than make up for that.

So I don't believe you need to go to extra effort to increase the contact between the cell and the busbar. Make sure you use copper busbars, clean all oxidation off the terminal and busbar, use an appropriate antioxidant, and tighten to the recommended torque.

Is this consensus on the subject?
My pack is 4S with a 120A Overkill.

Well, I got thru 7 pages of this thread...are the washers the best solution? And if so do you still have any of these?
I got the 230A Eve cells with the welded sockets and grub screws. I had concerns about the small mounting area but no one mentioned anything about it.

I wouldn't mind disassembling and reassembling with the washers, and apply some oxguard on the terminals. And I have copper ring terminals on my cables. I could re-make them but gee, what a hassle.
You can buy 1/4" aluminum washers that fit right on the M6 stud and extend the existing 11mm pad by quite a bit. This is what I settled on, although I can't remember (and can't find an email about) where I got them. At the time Dan wanted almost $1 per washer for the ones he had, which was just too much.

I wouldn't mind disassembling and reassembling with the washers, and apply some oxguard on the terminals. And I have copper ring terminals on my cables. I could re-make them with tinned terminals, but gee, what a hassle.
I found where I got them: Bolt Depot. https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=27373

$2.90 + shipping for 25 washers. I paid $2.52 last time. Got 50, and about half the $10 total was for shipping.

Is this consensus on the subject?
My pack is 4S with a 120A Overkill.

Nope, just my opinion. Others are still pursuing crush washers, but no one's posting data that proves any of the hypothesis posted here - including me.

My point is that if you're running your battery packs at under 50A (so a 0.2C load for 271AH batteries) then the existing stud is sufficient.

If you're running the batteries at over 0.2C the correct solution is more battery packs - not a better connection to your current batteries.

Yes, it would be nice if the studs provided a better contact, and yes, adding crush washers does make up for that shortfall, but I just don't see the point.

However I'm setting up my batteries with aluminum bus bars and in a month or so when I have time I'll do a load test and do a thermal image of the battery pack and bus bars to confirm I don't have any hot spots.

A tight 6mm fit. Not used or ordered, just what I found searching around.

>snip
Yes, it would be nice if the studs provided a better contact, and yes, adding crush washers does make up for that shortfall, but I just don't see the point.

However I'm setting up my batteries with aluminum bus bars and in a month or so when I have time I'll do a load test and do a thermal image of the battery pack and bus bars to confirm I don't have any hot spots.

Comforting... ;)

I've done this at 72-75A continuous, testing out performance, looking for hot spots with an infrared thermometer gun. The battery runs cool, the ring terminal on the 4awg wire after the fuse to the inverter got to 80* from 67 +/- starting/ambient, and the housing on the inverter was 102. THAT is where the heat is! LOL

I'm not too worried. Probably more concern for the copper terminals on the aluminum post contacts for plus and minus over the long haul. My house has aluminum wiring so I'm familiar with using ox-gard or similar with connections in j-boxes. I probably even have some on hand, but didn't think to use it on the battery build.

I too considered replacing the thin tin-coated copper bus bars that come with the cells from Docan. I kind of wanted to drill and tap bars for the balance leads, but that didn't make sense with those bus bars. I'm torn whether to do anything more with what I have.

A tight 6mm fit. Not used or ordered, just what I found searching around.

I just ordered a package of these.....thank you for posting them. And yes....a "tight" 6mm but that is what small rat tail files are used for. I had just started to order some on Amazon, but they looked pretty rough and likely some sanding/honing would have been required, not to mention that they were 1/4" and the inside diameter was .265. These will fit like socks on a rooster.

I just ordered a package of these.....thank you for posting them. And yes....a "tight" 6mm but that is what small rat tail files are used for. I had just started to order some on Amazon, but they looked pretty rough and likely some sanding/honing would have been required, not to mention that they were 1/4" and the inside diameter was .265. These will fit like socks on a rooster.
Wanna sell half of 'em? LOL
I sure don't need 50 of them.

Really? These have an I.D. that is 0.03" smaller than a 1/4" washer. I think this is getting a bit silly.

You are right that these will have to be filed out in order to fit on the 6mm studs. But if I assume they are exactly 6mm, my math tells me that you might gain about 9% in surface area overlap with the 11mm pad, over the 1/4" washers (0.265" I.D.). I really don't think it is worth it, especially since you're going to lose more than that in the surface overlap with your bus bars.

Seriously, I think we are making this harder than it needs to be.

Oh, and roosters don't need socks either.

I'm thinking aluminum bus bars might be a better option. Anyone want to recommend a width and thickness? I can just make them out of standard flat-bar.
I can drill and tap them for the balance wire terminals then, so they're not on the cell posts.

Really? These have an I.D. that is 0.03" smaller than a 1/4" washer. I think this is getting a bit silly.

You are right that these will have to be filed out in order to fit on the 6mm studs. But if I assume they are exactly 6mm, my math tells me that you might gain about 9% in surface area overlap with the 11mm pad, over the 1/4" washers (0.265" I.D.). I really don't think it is worth it, especially since you're going to lose more than that in the surface overlap with your bus bars.

Seriously, I think we are making this harder than it needs to be.

Oh, and roosters don't need socks either.
Wow....You've got less than zero sense of humor........socks on a rooster! Part of the issue is that I'm not using the buss bar that came with the battery purchase, I'm using copper crimp lugs and 2/0 cable. And the existing buss bars have a lot of slop in the hole also. So I guess maybe my idea....or actually someone else's idea really isn't that bad. You may now return to your grouchy self.

And on the subject of the washers, they should be about .002 smaller inside diameter than the 6mm post and I'm doing a compression jig with 1/8" silicon pads in between the cells for no movement between terminals.

Back