diy solar

diy solar

Improving Contact Area on Welded Stud Pads

I do not sell them personally. Michael does, so if you want some, just send him a message.

I do not sell them personally. Michael does, so if you want some, just send him a message.
Right now there are a bunch of people reading your post that have been waiting for many days for any reply from Michael, so we're all going "Yeah, right."

Right now there are a bunch of people reading your post that have been waiting for many days for any reply from Michael, so we're all going "Yeah, right."
Hmm, I just noticed he hasn't logged in since Tuesday. I'll shoot him a text and see what's going on.

Yep, you are right. I somehow saw only a single one after the decimal on the little calculator on my phone.
I wouldn't want to drill the washers to the exact assumed width as I bet there is at least that much variance in the posts.

I wouldn't want to drill a washer at all. That's a huge PITA and rather sketchy for safety too. I have a high quality drill press vice and I wouldn't want to do it with that. Maybe there's a better way that I haven't thought of.

I wouldn't want to drill a washer at all. That's a huge PITA and rather sketchy for safety too. I have a high quality drill press vice and I wouldn't want to do it with that. Maybe there's a better way that I haven't thought of.
I have drilled MANY washers in a former life as a mechanic. If I was hasty, I would use a pair of pliers to hold the washer, but that is good for breaking your wrist. No danger at all sticking a washer in a vise. How would it be different than anything else you drill? In fact, being soft aluminum it ought to be a breeze to drill.

Last edited:
I have drilled MANY washers in a former life as a mechanic. If I was hasty, I would use a pair of pliers to hold the washer, but that is good for breaking your wrist. No danger at all sticking a washer in a vise. How would it be different than anything else you drill? In fact, being soft aluminum it ought to be a breeze to drill.

It being soft aluminum, if you clamp it tight in a vise, horizontally, wouldn't it deform the washer?

It being soft aluminum, if you clamp it tight in a vise, horizontally, wouldn't it deform the washer?
understand the concern, but not an issue if done carefully.

Seems the solution has been found, just have to get the ones Lt.Dan made when Michael surfaces. I still haven't ordered my next set of batteries so I didn't make the choice to stud or not yet.

I'll be watching for when Michael resurfaces and then contact him about buying a set of washers since Lt Dan has already done the work and made an investment I'm sure he'd like to recover.

Not trying to threadjack, but while we're on the subject of the difficulties with welded studs, I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone else using lugs like in this picture.lug.jpg
They're rated for flex wire, copper or aluminum which allows you to put a slightly curved piece of flex wire between two of these things rather than the solid bus bars. This makes it so that any slight movement or expansion of the cells won't put any strain on the battery terminals. And they run less than a dollar each, with all kinds of sizes available. Plus you can get them with 2 or more ports for wires to be added, so that you can connect the end terminals in the string both to the inverter/bus or whatever and to the next mating cell.

It also takes away any concerns about short welded studs running out of room as you stack a busbar, a double busbar, a inverter connection, the balance leads for the BMS, lockwashers etc etc. They seem to resolve several issues that are commonly encountered with making these packs.

Back