diy solar

diy solar

Improving LifePo4 design

Sun

These batteries have evolved nicely. Simpler rigid cases, better handles, better terminals, easy access to replace cells, etc. Some have gotten worse before getting better with parts easily bent during shipping, crazy padding, tape that is going to come off, no concern for damaging heat build-up, BMS’s that make you wonder if they’re actually doing what they’re supposed to, etc.

I would be impressed with:
-a case with a removable plate allowing me to slide in a Victron controller (or two) with heat sink facing out (or just a place to rest it inside the box)
-a connector (or connectors) that easily get unplugged if the wires somehow get yanked on
-a thin, non-sliding rectangular pad to rest on
-room for a kit of thin lead plates inside the box with genuine assurance that it would insulate from an EMP. (I know that sounds crazy but who expected what we’re going through now?)
-a removable plate allowing me to slide in an inexpensive display for voltage
-a process (just written up on a piece of paper) for easy testing the integrity of the cells and BMS

So... you want a prefab enclosure built to your specific needs?

Seems unlikely as your requirements are very different than what most people do.

Many of us don't need or want the controller or display anywhere near the pack itself if it can be avoided. The reason is catastrophic failure ruining your battery pack is one thing, but taking out your electronics with it makes for a worse day.

And in a lot of installs the display would be better installed elsewhere too.

So it would be adding significant cost to the battery while only applying to a small portion of the users.

I wouldn’t think any of this would be expensive to add or unique to just my needs (except maybe for an EMP). I don’t understand how consolidating by sliding in a controller could produce catastrophic failure, or why you would specifically not want a volt meter on the battery itself???

Just thought it might be nice for anyone interested to add their ideas so battery makers might see simple ways to make a battery/system more efficient.

You don't think it's expensive?

As someone in manufacturing I promise you this would be expensive to redesign a whole assembly process and source different parts.

And it isn't about creating more chance to fail, it's about if it happens.
If a pack decides to let all the magic smoke out, as unlikely as it may be with lfp4, I definitely would prefer my electronics be a few feet away instead of directly attached to the pack.

This is not a low temperature situation and can definitely destroy whatever is in its path.

Most people put their systems in an area away from their living space, and then put the meter in said living space.

If you'd like I can go into details about the logistics of designing even the small change of incorporating a dedicated spot for a screen. I have time today.

You lost me on all of that. It is over my head, especially the part about the smoke. You don’t need to explain about how to manufacture. I think it might be easier for me to just cut slits in my box, slide in my controller & cheap temperature readout, screw the top back on, and stick a piece of course board underneath. Probably better to leave the idea formulation and fabrication processes to the manufacturing design teams, machinists, safety engineers, testers, and R&D folks.

The best option if you want a battery with a specific BMS and other options is to build one yourself, to be quite honest. Battery manufacturers have to consider the intended use cases for what they build and allowing the end-user to swap out random parts would not make it easy for them to gain the required certifications for acceptable use (UL Listing or the EU/Asian equivalents).

What’s the saying?, “Bureaucracy is the mother of invention”. Yes, that must be it.

There should be a logical disconnect between the battery and the PV. I could have 2000 watts of PV but only a 100 Ah battery. Making a battery with a built in solar charge controller would be a waste in this situation because the 2000 watts of PV would likely roast the solar charge controller on the first day.

No, I like my components as components, not as combined units.

These batteries have evolved nicely. Simpler rigid cases, better handles, better terminals, easy access to replace cells, etc. Some have gotten worse before getting better with parts easily bent during shipping, crazy padding, tape that is going to come off, no concern for damaging heat build-up, BMS’s that make you wonder if they’re actually doing what they’re supposed to, etc.

I would be impressed with:
-a case with a removable plate allowing me to slide in a Victron controller (or two) with heat sink facing out (or just a place to rest it inside the box)
-a connector (or connectors) that easily get unplugged if the wires somehow get yanked on
-a thin, non-sliding rectangular pad to rest on
-room for a kit of thin lead plates inside the box with genuine assurance that it would insulate from an EMP. (I know that sounds crazy but who expected what we’re going through now?)
-a removable plate allowing me to slide in an inexpensive display for voltage
-a process (just written up on a piece of paper) for easy testing the integrity of the cells and BMS
I wanted a bunch of unique features on my battery as well. So I built one. Not being sharp, but your needs are VERY specific. Generally, specialized needs are met with custom (and expensive) solutions.

Back