diy solar

diy solar

In over my head?

Nicauna

After watching Will's videos and buying his book I've purchased for our completely off the grid tiny home:

Renogy 5Pcs 270 Watt 24 Volt Solar Panel 1350W for Off-Grid​

3000W Solar Inverter Growatt 24V Power Inverter Support Split Phase 80A MPPT 120V​

And

4 Battle Born 100ah batteries

NOW what!?

I splurged on the pv cable but went cheap with the splitters (will that completely negate the splurge?). I figure, the batteries will be 2 in series and 2 in parallel to create the needed 24v for panels and inverter. But how should I configure 5 panels? In retrospect, probably should've done six but those things weren't cheap!

Am I missing anything else that's crucial? I am a complete newbie so open to ALL suggestions.

Ever so gratefully,
Nicholas and Shauna

I figure, the batteries will be 2 in series and 2 in parallel to create the needed 24v for panels and inverter. But how should I configure 5 panels?
What is the Voc of the panels and the max input voltage of your SCC? This will dictate how you can configure your array.
In general, you want panels in series as much as possible to about 90% of your max input voltage. Anytime you get to having to parallel, even numbers are necessary.

This video will help you with the math behind hooking up your panels and the differences between series and parallel connections.

There are also some good resources in the 'Resources' section on this website regarding wiring and fusing.

What is the Voc of the panels and the max input voltage of your SCC? This will dictate how you can configure your array.
In general, you want panels in series as much as possible to about 90% of your max input voltage. Anytime you get to having to parallel, even numbers are necessary.
Am I reading it right? Voc = 38.6? Max input = 2000w?? Why is "rated power" 3000w then?Screenshot_20201025-144738_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20201025-144717_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It appears you already ordered these items, but just for budget sake and if your order can be stopped before shipping out, take a look at some other options. I'm hesitant to type this since I don't want to steer you off track, but if I was in your situation I would want someone to tell me.

You can obtain solar panels for much cheaper from www.santansolar.com

Four Battleborn batteries is about $4000 for approximately 4800 watt hours of storage. You can purchase 280 amp hour cells from China and DIY your battery bank and get approximately 28,000 amp hours for the same cost. I assume you don't need that large of a battery bank, so let's just say you spend 2k and that would get you around 14,000 watt hours of storage and a battery management system (BMS).

It would take some learning and research on your end as opposed to just hooking up the system you just purchased. But you could have a larger system with much more battery storage for less cost. Going this route would take some time to get the batteries delivered so if you need something right away, this probably wouldn't be an option. Took me 33 days to receive my batteries in Arizona.

Pricing out what you have listed comes to around $6000 so far. This is my 24 volt system and I spent right about $6000 for everything listed.

Solar Schematic 8.jpg

Last edited:
Am I reading it right? Voc = 38.6? Max input = 2000w?? Why is "rated power" 3000w then?View attachment 25875View attachment 25876
To answer your questions:
Yes, 38.6 is your Voc
2000 watts is the maximum solar array. So if you are using 270 watt panels, you could have 7 panels without going over the 2000 watt max.
3000 watts is what your inverter is rated at.

Hope that helps.

If you still wanted to use the Growatt, you could do (6) New REC 305 watt panels for $120 each ($720 + shipping cost from santansolar) to keep you under the 2000 watt max of the Growatt. Then (16) 280 amp hour batteries to make two 24 volt batteries for approx $1750 delivered to your door, depending on where you are. Plus $200-300 for (2) BMS units.

That would be:
$819 for Growatt
$720 for 1830 watts of solar panels https://store.santansolar.com/product/rec-305w/
$2000 for 14,336 watt hours of battery storage and BMS units
=$3539 plus the cost of wire, fuses, shipping on the solar panels, etc.
So around 4k total for a pretty nice set up.

You could even drop down to just one 24 volt battery with 7168 watt hours of storage to drop this system down to around $3k if you don't need a lot of battery storage for your needs since the Battleborn batteries you have listed only net you about 5000 or so watt hours of storage currently.

Last edited:
Back