diy solar

diy solar

In the middle of a new LiFePo4 system assembly on old VAN

fiox89

Hi everyone. After 2 months of intense study and preparation, I am now in the middle of assembling my system.

It's my first system, i rewired half the van's wiring, and i'm terribly scared that i got something wrong.

I set up the system to exploit a single original earth point, used a non-isolated victron, MRBF fuse on the battery terminal, and every precaution that seemed necessary to me.

I will be using a pre-assembled 150AH LiFePo4, Victron orion smart 12 12 - 30a, the SafetyHub 150 Fuse Block, AiLi 350A shunt, and some other gadgets.

I am attaching the diagram here, if anyone would like to comment for any errors or improvements, it would be extremely helpful. More photos of the system to come tomorrow

p.s. the control unit originally also takes care of recharging the house battery, but I have modified the control unit to prevent this from happening.
Therefore the line that comes from the starter battery to the van control unit will only be used to power the fridge while traveling

Attachments

• sistema elettrico van.png
    sistema elettrico van.png
    98 KB · Views: 34
Looks good to me. As long as the two positive inputs to the controller are isolated all should work as you expect.

Not knowing the length of the individual cables. I give a preliminary approval. I like the placement of the fuses.

Looks good to me. As long as the two positive inputs to the controller are isolated all should work as you expect.
Thanks. If you refers to two positive inputs of van control unit, I think so. I removed the parallel between the 2 batteries that was inside the control unit by disconnecting the BS cables from the battery cut-off relay. (cable marked red is removed)

I still have the doubt of charging at 230v (although it will rarely be used). The control unit has a 230v transformer, if manually activated this recharges both the BM and BS batteries. I wonder what effect this will have on Victron.

I will certainly have the BS recharge from the control unit transformer, but how will the Victron behave, will this feel the voltage on the BM rise and could it activate going to recharge the BS? and can cause problems? I would like to avoid connecting the D+ (+12v) to the victron

Attachments

• Manual - 911054_20011212_EBL263-3A_BA_EN_pages-to-jpg-0012_.jpg
    Manual - 911054_20011212_EBL263-3A_BA_EN_pages-to-jpg-0012_.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Not knowing the length of the individual cables. I give a preliminary approval. I like the placement of the fuses.
7 feet / 4 AWG positive from BM to Victron (oversized because I will also power the fridge not just the Victron while driving)
10 feet / 2 AWG negative from negative bus bar to BM (ground) probably oversized

Positive and negative of BS I will use the same 2 AWG, the cables will be very short around 1,5 feet and I will never use more than 100A on the whole system. How does it sound?

This is the current state. The victron is mounted outside, on the opposite side

Attachments

• sistema elettrico van2.png
    sistema elettrico van2.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220129_165529.jpg
    20220129_165529.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 11
Back