diy solar

diy solar

Independent high voltage cutoff

danphillips

Looking for a device to disconnect my LifePo4 battery bank at a configurable voltage as a safety net to my BMS.
My boat has an xantrex 2012 so I can not use a Victron Battery Protect. Power can come from alternator, SCC, or the inverter charger. Having just read about a failed SSC that over injected a very high voltage into the BMS causing it to fail, and then over charging the batteries.

Have you read the thread on the SOK battery in Up in Smoke? Per HighTechLab, he's checked Victron, Outback Flexmax, and Midnite. Those companies use magnetic isolation for PV+ (not full isolation, as PV- is bonded to Batt-), so they are immune to the issue. As long as PV+ goes open circuit it's no different than normal operation with no charging happening.

@TorC , thank you for the link. However is seems that most of the discussion was addressing just the SCC Issue. I need something that could sit in front of the BMS and isolate the battery from all charge sources in the event of an over charge.

One thought was to use a second BMS with more conservative settings. After reading the entire thread, seems that there is not a ‘box’ available at this time that will do what I am looking at.

You could use a voltage controlled switch to pilot a set of big relays.
The alternator would probably be dodgy... maybe divert the charge to a decent load instead of cutting it, or have a small battery on it all the time...
-

Correct, there is not yet a box. A lot of thinking has been going into the problem in this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/why-not-to-use-daly-bms-with-mppt-controllers.24922/

It seems we've got confirmation that a few of the best SCCs are designed fail-safe. If you want something else, I think the current most likely is a watchdog on the DC bus to trigger a remote trip breaker that will cut the SCC(s) if it approaches the BMS cutoff point.

The GSL MIHV will do what you want, it comes with preset voltage but they will make you one with any voltage you require.

Attachments

• D9AB2C32-E538-4271-A944-331E59C33DCF.jpeg
    D9AB2C32-E538-4271-A944-331E59C33DCF.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 12
Close. The pass-through current on that is too small for most systems. That said, if it could trip a PV breaker it might work. The kicker: there's a clause "MOQ applies to other voltages."

That is what I am looking for, only if it would support 130-200a and voltage be user adjustable. Maybe a new product idea starting to form.

It might be cheaper to just get a BMS that’s capable of using the cell high voltage trigger on a contactor between charge sources and main bus bar.

@toms , this was my first thought. Use a second BMS, however that means twice the cell wiring, and a lot of internal components, however does provide redundancy.

Back