diy solar

diy solar

Index

Have a look at the python wiki: https://wiki.python.org/moin/
Simple table with some starting points (especially beginners guide/errors etc.). This will allow for a starting point for new comers, and we can put in links to the more advanced topics in addition to the page overview.
I'll take a crack at mocking it up if you're cool with that? Unless you're working in it.

Mocked up a Getting Started table similar to the Python one. Seriously not wed to any of this so feel free to add/change/delete anything.

Pretty good start - thansk! I'd remove the 'Solar Power In the News' section because noone is going to have time keeping that up to date ;)
Sure. I had an empty cell to put something in and thought that might be a good candidate. Was thinking, given the pace of new developments in this space, something LIKE that might be interesting. Any thoughts about something that wouldn't require frequently updates there? It's also possible we could drop in one or more of these. Or maybe have those on a separate page (?)

Possible. Let's leave it open for now; too many things otherwise. We'll get started with the relevant pages for those and content for them; I created two pages (Incoterms and Tools) that will fit right in to those main headings.

Can someone create a top level page for Automation / IoT? This is one area I'd like to begin collecting information. People like @tictag share a lot of great info that is scattered through our forum. It's a very daunting area when you get into it, with ever growing options. The wiki can really help us to get a handle on it.

I don't see any option for to create pages. That's going to be an issue. I can tell you when I build a space out, it can have dozens of pages before I'm done. I build huge volumes in wikis. I can understand limiting top-level pages to topics like "Automation / Iot". But, under that, we'll need to be able to whip up more. E.g., PLC is one sub-page I'd create under Automation / IoT. PLC can become a huge world if you get into it.

BBCode. I can change that if you want.
That's just underlying persistence format? Does it impact the user edit interface?

Ahhh, I see where that might matter: 1587330183486.png So, basically, BbCode is what we're used to in the forum. I'll stick to that, then. Thanks!

Approach: Thinking ahead a little bit, but might be prudent at this early stage. Anyone given any thought to how we come up w an info architecture/site map? Once that's agreed upon, maybe step after that is creating the top level pages, linking them to the Index (and/or Navigation) and then drilling down from there, maybe ID'g content creators along the way. Thoughts?

Also, anyone know if you can reverse sort these discussion threads?? I can on other forums but haven't found that preference on this one.

Moved the editing/style guide out of the index into its own entry since only contributors would make use of it.

While doing so discovered a new caveat I added to that page:
  • DO NOT CHANGE THE LINK URL, it will break all URL links to the page.

This is interesting, if I use the word Tools and don't create a hyperlink, the wiki recognizes it is a wiki entry and automatically creates one for it. Modified one the style guide bullets to:

• The title should be a one-word over-arching summary as this is what appears in the Page List and one of the ways users can get to the entry. Good title examples are Automation, Tools. The Wiki automatically provides a URL link when a title is used.
Only works inside the wiki though. Pity, otherwise every time some posted in the forums there would be all sorts of links into the wiki.

Approach: Thinking ahead a little bit, but might be prudent at this early stage. Anyone given any thought to how we come up w an info architecture/site map? Once that's agreed upon, maybe step after that is creating the top level pages, linking them to the Index (and/or Navigation) and then drilling down from there, maybe ID'g content creators along the way. Thoughts?

Also, anyone know if you can reverse sort these discussion threads?? I can on other forums but haven't found that preference on this one.
Can you make a organization map? That would be great.

And I have not seen a setting for reverse sort. Can you find out for me? We are running xenforo.

Moved the editing/style guide out of the index into its own entry since only contributors would make use of it.

While doing so discovered a new caveat I added to that page:
  • DO NOT CHANGE THE LINK URL, it will break all URL links to the page.
Smart decision. Looks better.

Back