diy solar

diy solar

Index

Reverse sort should be a individual setting. We would keep traditional forum format as standard, for simplicity sake.

I'll do a poll to see how many people would actually use it. To justify it's cost. I personally would not use it. What do you think?
A nice to have, but not really that important, IMHO. What I'd love, however, is something that put funny, interesting and informative posts at the top, and redundant posts that point out the obvious at the bottom, like out of context lectures on being safe. lol

And I can see the watery eyes and bags under your eyes because it is past midnight in Nevada. :p This your new norm?

A nice to have, but not really that important, IMHO. What I'd love, however, is something that put funny, interesting and informative posts at the top, and redundant posts that point out the obvious at the bottom, like out of context lectures on being safe. lol

And I can see the watery eyes and bags under your eyes because it is past midnight in Nevada. :p This your new norm?
I take a lot of naps and work on random projects 24/7. I had a 3 hour nap today so I'm good.

BTW, just found a weird break. On this post:

I click on 1587454732781.png

and get

1587454751749.png

Since other posts in this thread don't seem to have this problem, not a major concern. But, would be nice if we can one day understand out how that happens.

Yeah the redundant posts drive me nuts. Sometimes I just want to "clean up" a thread by deleting unnecessary criticism posts. And leave the informative ones. But I do not with to impede on flow of information. Could be useful for outside observer to see all of it. Hard to manage this aspect of information exchange effectively.

I take a lot of naps and work on random projects 24/7. I had a 3 hour nap today so I'm good.
LOL I woke up from one. I just remember that one video where you were tired as could be waiting for a capacity test to complete, saying you are not normally up that late.

LOL I woke up from one. I just remember that one video where you were tired as could be waiting for a capacity test to complete, saying you are not normally up that late.
Haha! Naps are great for people who cannot stop thinking. Makes life a never ending movie of sorts.

If I miss a nap I am dead at 11pm. Really depends. Winter time sleep schedules can be wild. It varies a lot.

Yeah the redundant posts drive me nuts. Sometimes I just want to "clean up" a thread by deleting unnecessary criticism posts. And leave the informative ones. But I do not with to impede on flow of information. Could be useful for outside observer to see all of it. Hard to manage this aspect of information exchange effectively.
Yeah, you don't want to delete. That will backfire.

What does work is user controlled filtering. Check out Slashdot.org comments. It's a self-moderation system (no one's post ever gets deleted). But, everyone has the ability to filter. The people effectively "moderate" by scoring comments up or down.

To give the use case I described, if people modded posts as "funny", "interesting" or "informative", you'd then have scores on those things and be able to filter on them. But, you always want the user to have full control over what they see, and never outright delete posts.

BTW, just found a weird break. On this post:

I click on View attachment 11504

and get

View attachment 11505

Since other posts in this thread don't seem to have this problem, not a major concern. But, would be nice if we can one day understand out how that happens.
Oh right! That's because that post was deleted. Right before you replied. It was referencing a post that does not exist. Shouldn't happen otherwise

BTW, another concept of Slashdot you'd like is Karma. If you have good karma, your posts start out with a higher score, meaning more people will see them based on default filtering. Your Karma is determined by how people mod your comments. So, you post a lot of stuff people don't like, your Karma drops, and now you'll have a hard time getting people to see what you post.

Slashdot has had probably millions of views per day for the past 20 years. Took them years to perfect their self-moderation system, probably completing it around 2010. But, I refer to it as the gold standard in discussion moderation. The fact that it's still as popular today as it was 20 years ago says a lot.

I just plugged your site there on that GM article. Let me know if your visits rises tomorrow. When an article has been out for 24 hours or so, note how many comments it has. That tells you how popular that topic is to the viewers there. We'll see if they find the GM article interesting.

At the top of comments you can see how you can filter:

1587456551014.png

Over 1,000 comments after 24 hours is a popular topic.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's nice - I have a 6 digit slashdot id ;)
However we are limited to what this software currently offers. I don't think any of us have the time to develop plugins to enable those kinds of features. It would also require a lot more from mods/admins to do that kind of stuff.

Yeah, it's nice - I have a 6 digit slashdot id ;)
However we are limited to what this software currently offers. I don't think any of us have the time to develop plugins to enable those kinds of features. It would also require a lot more from mods/admins to do that kind of stuff.
LOL not expecting that here in 2020. Just sharing with Will the realm of what's possible to help him be successful over the next 10 years.

And, BTW, it's the exact opposite. They did it to no longer have to moderate it themselves. Do you remember CowboyNeal? If you see jokes referring to him, that person referring to him is an old fart who remembers the days when /. was moderated by people, where CowboyNeal was one of our favorite moderators. They created this system to basically automate themselves out of that role. The site runs entirely through user submissions and moderation today. CowboyNeal no longer has to do anything. They automated success.

Last edited:
This is interesting, if I use the word Tools and don't create a hyperlink, the wiki recognizes it is a wiki entry and automatically creates one for it. Modified one the style guide bullets to:

• The title should be a one-word over-arching summary as this is what appears in the Page List and one of the ways users can get to the entry. Good title examples are Automation, Tools. The Wiki automatically provides a URL link when a title is used.
Only works inside the wiki though. Pity, otherwise every time some posted in the forums there would be all sorts of links into the wiki.
Was hoping that would happen. Start typing an acronym or term from a "dictionary" and it automatically inserts the hyperlink to it (if the acronym or term has a page)? If some of the more frequently used terms/acronyms got there own (albeit, very short) page, you wouldn't have to worry about explaining it every time. Link to the explanation is auto-magically inserted. This is a great feature since it allows you (and your reader) to focus on your topic and not have to explain stuff along the way if it's already been explained elsewhere. It will also help to insure we all mean the same thing when we use the same term. Wikipedia uses this to great effect.

IDK....Put's more stress on coming up with a good title. ;)

Back