diy solar

diy solar

Index

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
Staff member

Welcome to the DIY Solar Power Wiki​

We're just starting to explore and create a wiki so please keep checking back in.

Getting Started​

Handy Reference​

Additional Tools​

Interested in becoming a contributor? Click here.

How about a link to (if not the information directly) answers to time dependent hot questions that always comes up... for example:
  • what's the best deal this week on xyz (e.g., MPPT, LiFePO4 cells)
  • can anyone recommend a solar generator under $x
UPDATE: Will keeps the DIY Solar Blueprints updated, possibly leverage that?

Last edited:
How about a link to (if not the information directly) answers to time dependent hot questions that always comes up... for example:
  • what's the best deal this week on xyz (e.g., MPPT, LiFePO4 cells)
  • can anyone recommend a solar generator under $x
UPDATE: Will keeps the DIY Solar Blueprints updated, possibly leverage that?
I do not think the wiki should have product recommendations of any kind. It should be for educational purpose only.

I think that people will disagree with product recommendations in a wiki. People will feel that their product is superior and try to edit other people's opinions. Just seems like a mess. What do you guys think?

I think we could make a "buyers guide" sticky post for various forum sections that you can update when you wish.

If you want to build a "buyers guide for solar charge controllers", then make the post and we can sticky it under that forum section. Or under the corporate section.

So, can't find Widget Manager for this page. Wondering if it needs to be Page Type = PHP to get that? I don't want to create any pages but might be worth checking out how, exactly, that works. Only admins can change page types on back end. Not sure that won't break what's already there.

So, can't find Widget Manager for this page. Wondering if it needs to be Page Type = PHP to get that? I don't want to create any pages but might be worth checking out how, exactly, that works. Only admins can change page types on back end. Not sure that won't break what's already there.

PHP sites need to be fully managed from the back-end (for obvious reasons) and require separate files to be uploaded on the server. I will look into doing this, but not today.

PHP sites need to be fully managed from the back-end (for obvious reasons) and require separate files to be uploaded on the server. I will look into doing this, but not today.
No rush, take your time.

Keep in mind everyone, @upnorthandpersonal does not have a lot of free time, and we should be thankful for the help he is providing.

Post whatever suggestions/criticism you have, but keep in mind it is only a couple folks here running this forum.

I do not think the wiki should have product recommendations of any kind. It should be for educational purpose only....
Hadn't thought about the pitfalls, but you're right. I like the idea of a Buyers Guide, but it would probably have the same issues and who could keep it up to date.

Instead, perhaps an article on how to find the best deal of the day and discern if it was too good to be true or not?

I do not think the wiki should have product recommendations of any kind. It should be for educational purpose only.

I think that people will disagree with product recommendations in a wiki. People will feel that their product is superior and try to edit other people's opinions. Just seems like a mess. What do you guys think?

I think we could make a "buyers guide" sticky post for various forum sections that you can update when you wish.

If you want to build a "buyers guide for solar charge controllers", then make the post and we can sticky it under that forum section. Or under the corporate section.
FYI, Will, original thought was to have Hot Topics (Past Week and All Time) at the top. Looking for a Widget that will automatically update those 2 lists in RT. That make sense to you? What are your thoughts about this Wiki Home page? What should it contain? What would you want folks to be able to do after viewing it?

FYI, Will, original thought was to have Hot Topics (Past Week and All Time) at the top. Looking for a Widget that will automatically update those 2 lists in RT. That make sense to you? What are your thoughts about this Wiki Home page? What should it contain? What would you want folks to be able to do after viewing it?
My understanding is a Wiki should be a form of reference or guide for folks wanting to understand the various technicalities of solar power. I do not think there should be a "hot topics" or "new topics" like the forum. It should not be used for discussion (imagine if they did that on wikipedia).

I think it should be organized with concise information that is easily accessible. Relevancy for educational material should not be "hot" or "recent". It should be what is most useful, and easily accessible.

My understanding is a Wiki should be a form of reference or guide for folks wanting to understand the various technicalities of solar power. I do not think there should be a "hot topics" or "new topics" like the forum. It should not be used for discussion (imagine if they did that on wikipedia).

I think it should be organized with concise information that is easily accessible. Relevancy for educational material should not be "hot" or "recent". It should be what is most useful, and easily accessible.
Makes perfect sense.

So maybe some kind of primer links. Maybe even targeted for different levels:
  • Beginners: An initial intro to some basic electrical knowledge and how to apply to solar DIY:
  • Intermediate: How to build a basic system with the MUST HAVES that meets your needs.
  • Advanced: How to build a system with the NICE TO HAVES that meet your wants.
... or something else along those lines?

Makes perfect sense.

So maybe some kind of primer links. Maybe even targeted for different levels:
  • Beginners: An initial intro to some basic electrical knowledge and how to apply to solar DIY:
  • Intermediate: How to build a basic system with the MUST HAVES that meets your needs.
  • Advanced: How to build a system with the NICE TO HAVES that meet your wants.
... or something else along those lines?
If you wish to build such an article, we can post it. But that is up to you. Or whoever wishes to contribute.

Have a look at the python wiki: https://wiki.python.org/moin/
Simple table with some starting points (especially beginners guide/errors etc.). This will allow for a starting point for new comers, and we can put in links to the more advanced topics in addition to the page overview.
That looks great! Exactly what an informational wiki should look like.

Have a look at the python wiki: https://wiki.python.org/moin/
Simple table with some starting points (especially beginners guide/errors etc.). This will allow for a starting point for new comers, and we can put in links to the more advanced topics in addition to the page overview.
So funny you used that as an example. Was there not too long ago. As soon as I'm done building my system, phase 2 is automoation/remote monitoring based on R-Pi. Just need to know how to code it first.

Back