diy solar

diy solar

Industrial/Forklift batteries - what is in a name?

Trukinbear

I had some blood flow to my brain today (LOL) so I thought I'd share what I'm remembering while I remember it. If this is old news to everybody, or I wrote something just like this before, please disregard it.

Industrial batteries will often be named as the one in my profile pic 24-125-11 (NC-S-P)

The forklift battery is a large metal case that contains this number of cells interconnected by plates - usually, the cells are individually replaceable, and one or two-man carryable (individual cells)

NC S P

We can break that down, the first number we'll refer to as 'NC' is the number of cells (mine is 24)

The next number we'll refer to as 'S' is the AH of one positive plate, the larger the plate the heavier the battery is for a given number of cells (mine is 125)

The last number we'll refer to as 'P' is the number of positive plates per cell (always an odd number as there is one more positive plate per cell than negative) the more plates per cell the heavier the battery is. (mine is 11)

In the equation below we take that odd number and subtract one, then divide by two to illustrate number of pairs of plates per cell then multiply it by the size of one positive plate 125

P=Number of positive plates
S=Size in AH of one positive plate
AH=Rating of battery at C-6 discharge rate
V=Nominal voltage of the battery V=CN2
NC=Number of cells total

AH=((P-1)/2)S
V=NCx2

Mine at 24 plates is 48 volts and with 125 sized plates, and eleven of them
Eleven plates minus one is ten, divided by two is five multiplied by one hundred twenty-five AH per plate for my particular battery = 625

So My battery is 48V 625AH at the C6 discharge rate and happens to weigh about 2200 pounds, minus 100 pounds or so for the case figure that each cell probably weighs about 87 pounds.

they come in lots of sizes from 6-55-5 (12V-110AH) all the way up to 36-170-27 (72V-2210AH) and probably way bigger in industrial applications

55AH plates are 17-1/2 inches tall (low profile)
75AH, 85AH, and 100AH plates are 27 inches tall (standard)
100AH(tall), 110AH, 125AH, 140AH and 155AH plates are 31 inches tall (tall)
170AH plates are 31 inches tall but are wider (wide tall)

Plate numbers range from 5 to 27 *maybe 31

Number of cells
6=12V
9=18V
12=24V
18=36V
24=48V
36=72V

Back