diy solar

diy solar

"Industrial" three phase inverters for off-grid workshop.

MaximusAnonus

Hi,
anyone with an off-grid workshop? What 3-phase inverters are you running? I've got 3 Victron Multiplus 24/5000 inverters but wonder if there is a better way to set things up (I haven't even unpacked them yet so I can resell them no problem).

I'm not aware of any 3 phase inverters.

Why did you go with 24V? Each inverter will pull ~230A from the battery at max output. That's almost 700A in total.
Legacy reasons. This is an addition to an already existing setup.

Mpp Solar can be set up for 3 phase.
They have a ton of different products. Any idea which ones can be linked together?
EDIT
Did you mean the "LVX6048"? Excluding the fact that they seem to only make the 48V version how's that one quality wise with the Victrons when run in 3-phase setting?

Last edited:
I'm using a pair of 3048LV-MK in split phase. While setting them up I saw schematics/diagrams for 3 phase.
And in settings I can set 180 degree phase shift for split phase or 120 degree phase shift for 3 phase.
Not positive which other models provide this functionality but quite certain mine aren't the only ones.
Driving so can't dig deeper for you right now

Yes I've delved deeper into it and many of their inverters can do 3-phase EU spec (like the 8048MAX for example).
Any idea how those inverters compare to the Victron Multiplus inverters? The price difference is tempting.

I like the Victron ecosystem. They are the only manufacturer that i know of that has a box for everything.
But what I don't know is if their inverters can be configured for 3 phase.
RTM.

I am familiar with three phase commercial building electrical service but not familiar with any three phase inverters but aware that they exist. My EVs have three phase inverters if that counts.

Guys not to sound harsh or anything but 3-phase power is in EVERY single house in here (central Europe) if not only for "garage" equipment then for cooking for sure as almost all stoves sold here are 3-phase. Not to mention all the 3-phase heat pumps being installed these days. Honestly I have no idea how you can even put the kettle on with the puny 120VAC ? you use.
But I agree 3-phase solar is not very common and most people (like myself) go for 3x Victron connected together. I was just curious if there are any other manufacturers (except the INSANELY expensive Studer) who can be setup like the Victrons. So far the "Axpert MAX II 8KVA" seems interesting but I have yet to get the delivery dates on that one and how cost effective it is compared to the 5KVA Multiplus.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 17-42-59 big_thumb_image.webp (WEBP Image 500 × 376 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 17-42-59 big_thumb_image.webp (WEBP Image 500 × 376 pixels).png
    110.9 KB · Views: 12
Guys not to sound harsh or anything but 3-phase power is in EVERY single house in here (central Europe)
Yes that is why some of us in North America are not as familiar with three phase because almost all residential here is single phase/split phase. However, thanks for reminding us that this forum is global and there are differences. I also find it ironic that Nikola Tesla developed Alternating Current and the three phase motor while living in the US. Most commercial/Industrial service here is three phase because three phase equipment is much more efficient.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any off-grid inverter that offers 3 phase operation, i.e., a single inverter that outputs 3 phase.

This is a DIY site. Why would any of us be VERY experienced with commercial solar installations?
My mistake assuming folks offering DIY advise would have that knowledge when someone asks about powering a 3 phase shop with "industrial inverters"

Last edited:
Delving deeper there are "single box, 3-phase" inverters. For example the Voltronic InfiniSolar WP 30kW and the Growatt MAC 30KTL3-X LV. Both supposedly 2x as powerful as the three 5KVA Victron inverters while being roughly the same price as one.

My mistake assuming folks offering DIY advise would have that knowledge when someone asks about powering a 3 phase shop with "industrial inverters"

Please enrich the group and provide links to native 3 phase single unit inverters.

Guys not to sound harsh or anything but 3-phase power is in EVERY single house in here (central Europe) if not only for "garage" equipment then for cooking for sure as almost all stoves sold here are 3-phase. Not to mention all the 3-phase heat pumps being installed these days. Honestly I have no idea how you can even put the kettle on with the puny 120VAC ? you use.
But I agree 3-phase solar is not very common and most people (like myself) go for 3x Victron connected together. I was just curious if there are any other manufacturers (except the INSANELY expensive Studer) who can be setup like the Victrons. So far the "Axpert MAX II 8KVA" seems interesting but I have yet to get the delivery dates on that one and how cost effective it is compared to the 5KVA Multiplus.

Well aware of the ability to 3 phase Victron hardware. My concern was the choice of 24V for 15kW of power. When considering these other options, look very closely at their idle power consumption. They are typically 2-4X Victron hardware.

Please enrich the group and provide links to native 3 phase single unit inverters
I saw this the other day at my local Home Center in Sonoma California. I presume it is three phase based on what I could make out from nearby power pole. The scale isn't obvious but it is six feet wide and seven feet high and probably to large for the OPs shop.

Attachments

• PXL_20220904_170240810.jpg
    PXL_20220904_170240810.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 16
Back