diy solar

diy solar

"Industrial" three phase inverters for off-grid workshop.

That says "grid tie" on it. Does it apply?
No, it was partly in jest anyway. As much as I respect the expertise on this site I do think it is a reach to expect that level of knowledge on a DIY site. Off grid three phase is a real niche even our European three phase members probably do not see a lot of. I agree 24 volts for that kind of power is a big mistake and the choices will probably be limited and more expensive.

Hi,
anyone with an off-grid workshop? What 3-phase inverters are you running? I've got 3 Victron Multiplus 24/5000 inverters but wonder if there is a better way to set things up (I haven't even unpacked them yet so I can resell them no problem).
I know Deye has a 3 phase inverters as do some other Chinese Manufacturers.

I wish more people would put some geographic indication on their profile like you have. I love having their perspective but the usual assumptions do not always work in terms of system specs.
Happy now? ?
I know Deye has a 3 phase inverters as do some other Chinese Manufacturers.

That looks interesting. I will have to get a price on that one. How's Deye quality wise? I've never heard of them. Are these rebranded OEMs?

Happy now? ?

That looks interesting. I will have to get a price on that one. How's Deye quality wise? I've never heard of them. Are these rebranded OEMs?

Deye makes their own plus Sol-Ark and maybe Sunsync I think. Quality is great..

Last edited:
Hi,
anyone with an off-grid workshop? What 3-phase inverters are you running? I've got 3 Victron Multiplus 24/5000 inverters but wonder if there is a better way to set things up (I haven't even unpacked them yet so I can resell them no problem).
Studer's Next3
15kW three phase
Voc PV 900V!!!
but in 48V (~ 40 - 68V)
2MPPT 2+2
All in one, with input from the grid, a generator etc.
In my opinion, this is the top of the line in terms of multi-mode inverter technology.
Only one device!
It is worth its price if we calculate that with equal power and modalities we need 5 devices like Victron or SMA.
The robustness of Studer is not to be boasted anymore, their specialty has always been the installations "at the end of the world"!
There are also US versions.

Last edited:
No, it was partly in jest anyway. As much as I respect the expertise on this site I do think it is a reach to expect that level of knowledge on a DIY site. Off grid three phase is a real niche even our European three phase members probably do not see a lot of. I agree 24 volts for that kind of power is a big mistake and the choices will probably be limited and more expensive.
Although a household is credited with 2kW for the calculation of the network wiring!
In Europe a house has a standard introduction of ~ 3x25A in 3x400V which gives ~ 15kW
For reasons of balance of the network and construction of the generators (3 windings shifted of 120° = 360°!) but especially of economy in the sections of cables the three-phase is a more than an evidence.
So to speak about niche for 15 kW three-phase it is to go a little too fast in work.

3 phase off grid in Australia with SMA, or Australian made Selectronic is the most common. I haven’t seen a 24V 3 phase system.

My plan is to just skip the 3-phase on the inverter level, and buy individual VFDs for any 3-phase motors, and run 240v single-phase to each VFD. Then you can have motor speed control too (bonus feature) if needed.

Out on our co-op, a bunch of shareholders bought these well pumps that come with 3-phase actual pumps, which they include a provided VFD with them, you supply 240v (up to 14a) single-phase to it, and you can change the frequency in the VFD to control the speed of the pump and thus the GPM...

EDIT:
Or, if you only run one 3-phase motor machine at any given time, one could just use a single VFD feeding a special circuit of plugs around the room, and just turn on the machine you need at one time. Or spec out a VFD that is large enough to handle some or all of them running at same time, whatever the needs are of the user (but then you'd lose independent motor speed control, all motors would be affected by speed adjustment of a single large VFD).

Last edited:
Makes my Victron inverters look like the bottom of the bargain bin price wise ?
Or, if you only run one 3-phase motor machine at any given time, one could just use a single VFD charging a circuit of plugs around the room, and just turn on the machine you need at one time. Or spec out a VFD that is large enough to handle some or all of them running at same time, whatever the needs are of the user (but then you'd lose independent motor speed control, all motors would be affected by speed adjustment of a single large VFD).
I have a lot of machines here running all at ones, compressors, extraction fans, CNCs....

Makes my Victron inverters look like the bottom of the bargain bin price wise ?

I have a lot of machines here running all at ones, compressors, extraction fans, CNCs....

Yeah I wouldn't have a lot of 3-phase machines (not as of yet anyways hehe), so I'm not so much able to justify bothering with having dedicated 3-phase inverter setup, but sounds like you have a bunch of machines (to justify having dedicated 3-phase inverter setup).

This guy here really likes the Schneider XW Pro inverters, they can do 3-phase (with 3 of them)... They seem like beefy inverters for running big motor loads...

And this (I started the time stamp in the video at 3-phase section, you can rewind to beginning to see the whole video if you desire):

I guess they are 208v at 3-phase (another thing to consider in choosing an inverter type), so might need transformer(s) to raise the up to desired voltage...

Last edited:
And this (I started the time stamp in the video at 3-phase section, you can rewind to beginning to see the whole video if you desire):

I guess they are 208v at 3-phase (another thing to consider in choosing an inverter type), so might need transformers raise the up to desired voltage...

Here in the same video, the guy mentions using a transformer to step-up voltage if needed:

Last edited:
Back