diy solar

diy solar

Initial setup of battery bank vs. Pv:

cisumma

Specifications: for Hansol 355 watt panels : 6 panels total.

Rated Power: 355W

Open circuit voltage (VOC): 47.8 V

Max power voltage (VMP): 39.2 V

Short circuit current (ISC): 9.65 A

Max power current: 9.06

Maximum system voltage: 1000V UL

Fuse Rating: 15 A

IP68 Junction Box with bypass diodes and industry standard solar connectors

Weight: 49.6 lbs

Dimensions: 78.5×39.37×1.58 inch
-_-_-_-_-_-<--_-_-_--_-_-_-_-_--_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

expand...
VMAXTANKS AGM high performance batteries. Wide selection of top of the line deep cycle maintenance free batteries.

Vmaxtank lead acid battery bank configuration.
( I am using 3@ marine deep cycle 12v batteries in parallel with the vmax tanks until the battery bank upgrade)

Battery bank consist of deep cycle SEALED lead acid batteries.

12 v battery bank consist of 8 @ 6v
Vmaxtanks 225ah

And an additional 3@ marine deep cycle batteries in parallel. (Temporarily)

Vmax ah
2s4p = 900ah
Marine :135ah, 130ah, 130ah = 395ah

Total: 1295ah. Available: 1295/2= 647.5ah

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_--_-_-_

I do not have the PV setup yet.
I will have configuration of panels,
Components I have already and I will have to calculate in for 2@ mppt controllers, fuses inverter.
I am totally DC at the moment.

I plan on 2@ 80' homeruns on 10awg wire. Y adapters

I plan on 3s2p for the 355watt panels.

Last edited:
When using calculations for battery banks : do we use the total ah or always us the actual available ah?

Also, to figure the output of the PV 3s2p do I use the 48.8 volts and the 9.06amps
Or, do I add 20% to account for winter . Is this the insulation affect?

Last edited:
3S is 143.4Voc so will not work with a 150v max input SCC
What SCC are you planning on using?
Your battery and PV specs are all mixed up in a non logical order.
Rated Power: 355W

Open circuit voltage (VOC): 47.8 V

Max power voltage (VMP): 39.2 V

Short circuit current (ISC): 9.65 A

Max power current: 9.06

Maximum system voltage: 1000V UL

Fuse Rating: 15 A

IP68 Junction Box with bypass diodes and industry standard solar connectors

Weight: 49.6 lbs

Dimensions: 78.5×39.37×1.58 inch

12 v battery bank consist of 8 @ 6v
Vmaxtanks 225ah
And an additional 3@ marine deep cycle batteries in parallel.

Vmax ah
2s4p : 900ah
Marine :135ah, 130ah, 130ah :395ah

Total: 1295ah. Available: 1295/2= 647.5ah

I do not have the PV setup yet.
I will have configuration of panels,
Components I have already and I will have to calculate in for 2@ mppt controllers, fuses inverter.
I am totally DC at the moment.

I plan on 2@ 80' homeruns on 10awg wire. Y adapters

I plan on 3s2p for the 355watt panels.

you don't use massively parallel low voltage batteries.

1295 ah @ 12V = 15,600 watt hours ( rounded) /48V = 325ah Easily doable with eight L-18 batteries in series, and only 24 caps to check and water.

with your 12v plan, with mis-matched batteries, you have 42 caps to water & expensive fat copper cables . Bonus @ 48V, you only need 1 charge controller too. More savings !

3S is 143.4Voc so will not work with a 150v max input SCC
What SCC are you planning on using?
Your battery and PV specs are all mixed up in a non logical order.
SCC? the panels have not arrived yet.
I am beginning to work on the voltage and amps of 3 panels in series and then find a MPPT for that run . Also, I am attempting to calculate the specs for the 80' homerun to the battery bank. I am going to use 10awg wire.

1295 ah @ 12V = 15,600 watt hours ( rounded) /48V = 325ah Easily doable with eight L-18 batteries in series, and only 24 caps to check and water.

with your 12v plan, with mis-matched batteries, you have 42 caps to water & expensive fat copper cables . Bonus @ 48V, you only need 1 charge controller too. More savings !
VMAXTANKS AGM high performance batteries. Wide selection of top of the line deep cycle maintenance free batteries. Best upgrade for solar, marine, audio, wheelchair,scooter,commercial sweepers, golf, industrial equipment, power back up and much more.
When I get $10,000 i plan on setting up the lithium battery bank.
Thanks.

Oh joy, a massive parallel (unmatched batteries) AGM configuration. I'd give odds they last 2 years at the most.

With parallel batteries, the difficulty is to have all the batteries share the work equally. AGM have low internal resistance and the quality of your cable crimps and wire arrangement become super critical. The article below explains how this happens:

I don't understand how 8@ 6 volt brand new vmax tanks weighing at 800lbs and 900ah all delivered on the same day Is mismatched?
I am using the 12v deep cycle marine batteries temporarily as I just have DC lights right now.

You said:
And an additional 3@ marine deep cycle batteries in parallel. (Temporarily)

That's mismatched. Now if you only said the 3 marine batteries were all that was in use now, I would not have jumped on you for mismatched.

But you still win a prize for too many batteries in parallel.

Is this math correct; also is the 112.896v estimation qualify me to use a hundred volt 30amp Mppt?
Also, is 110.896 v DC considered " low voltage and run safely thru the basement pinned up to floor joists or roughed in without conduit?
Thanks.

2s3p

VOLTS:47.8v×2=95.6v-->95.6v x 16% insulation effect--> 95.6v x 16%= 95.6v+15.296=110.896v

AMPS : 18.12amp x(1.25 insulation ×1 25 nuisance)-->18.12amp x 1.5625 = 28.3125 amps.

You may also be wondering that this is just a 6V battery and although the battery is amazing for a lot of cases, in some cases, you just need a 12V battery, right?
Well, don’t worry. All you need to do to get 12V is to connect two 6V batteries in series and you’re done. You can also add multiple such setups in parallel and get an overall 12V battery with an even higher capacity. However, if you plan on connecting multiple such batteries together, it is a good idea to invest in a battery management system for an additional layer of safety.
This battery is mainly meant to be used with inverters and solar cells, etc.

Attachments

• best-deep-cycle-battery.jpg
    best-deep-cycle-battery.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
One of the most popular technologies out there, this battery uses Absorbent Glass Mat technology. What this means is that the battery is completely sealed, unlike traditional batteries and there are no liquid electrolytes in the battery. The battery consists of a glass fibre mat containing the electrolyte that surrounds the lead plates.
This design lets you use your battery in any orientation without having to worry about spillage or leaking. AGM batteries are also fundamentally maintenance free as there is no need to replace the liquid inside the battery. AGM batteries have a longer battery life than traditional batteries and are also fairly affordable. This battery claims to have a battery life of anywhere between 8-10 years, which is amazing.

seems to be working fine. Thanks .read the spec! I am not interested in 48 volts and lithium . You can check the water in your battery bank.

Attachments

• best-deep-cycle-battery.jpg
    best-deep-cycle-battery.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1
Back