diy solar

diy solar

Initial setup

protorianbz

I live in Belize, Central America. We typically have great sunlight for about 10 months of the year, and get about 6 sun hours daily.
Currently the grid costs $0.21/kw (USD) which is about $0.42 (local currency).
Power costs are rather high.

I am piecing together a small system and would like you guys

I currently have 4x 305w Qcell Panels.

I want to get the following.
16 x 200ah Varicore LifePo4 Cells (48v)
1 x Daly 48v 200ah Lifepo4 BMS (16s)
1. x 5000w PowMR Mppt / Charger / Inverter (PowMR)

Would this be enough for a small system to get started with?

So I'm newer to this stuff, but I think you have most of it, however I do know you will probably need to have the power company upgrade/replace the electric meter box. If you didn't have batteries you would need a bi-directional meter. (This allows for excess power you generate to go back to the grid, not your use case) But I don't know if the normal box will work with an inverter and battery setup. You would have to make sure that the inverter and power coming from the grid are synced. I'm not sure on any of the specifics of that, but those are questions that you would need answered before I'd connect things up.

IDK what would happen if, for example, the AC from the inverter is 180 degrees out of sync with the grid power, or they are not at the same hertz. (from what I know the grid is close to 60hz but not exactly) I'm assuming very bad things would happen.

Side note, I'm not sure the growatt inverter would support this. I talked to them about using it in my rv setup, and it could allow either batteries, or a generator/shore power, but not both. There may be ways of doing it but idk.

PS. I'm in the USA so some power things may be different.

Last edited:
So I'm newer to this stuff, but I think you have most of it, however I do know you will probably need to have the power company upgrade/replace the electric meter box. If you didn't have batteries you would need a bi-directional meter. (This allows for excess power you generate to go back to the grid, not your use case) But I don't know if the normal box will work with an inverter and battery setup. You would have to make sure that the inverter and power coming from the grid are synced. I'm not sure on any of the specifics of that, but those are questions that you would need answered before I'd connect things up.

IDK what would happen if, for example, the AC from the inverter is 180 degrees out of sync with the grid power, or they are not at the same hertz. (from what I know the grid is close to 60hz but not exactly) I'm assuming very bad things would happen.
PS. I'm in the USA so some power things may be different.
Hi.
I am thinking about creating a critical load breaker panel, so only items that need solar power will be on that, the rest will be on grid for now. I am going for an off grid build, so no back feeding into the power company. I only want to have the ability to charge from grid if needs be. IN my country they do not do grid tie or the power company does not buy back power from solar producers.

In that case if you isolated your two power systems, you could do it, but if power is coming from the grid and is going to go to anything that is powered by the solar system you would need to comply with the syncing info above.
IF you built in breakers so you could turn off the power provided by the inverter and power provided by the grid you could do that as well, I'm assuming. So that way you can run your house on power from the grid or power from your solar system this would be a one or the other situation.
This also might make wiring a headache. as any power provided by the inverter would (in theory) travel down the line and provided power to any of the non essential systems see pic
Also I added a side note on the growatt inverter your looking at in my first post.

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
Back