diy solar

diy solar

Initial Top Balance Check-In

I’m watching since I have one cell that has a poor IR and stops charging early. The vendor is sending me a replacement cell at no cost though. The real test is when you put some load on to intentionally deplete your cells and then recharge, especially watch the BMS as it gets closer to the upper limit and see if you get an over voltage shutdown with your BMS on a single cell like I am getting with this rogue cell before you hit 100% of your planned charge.

If that isn’t a problem then you are good to go.
Wow nice, who is your vendor? Xuba or shenzen Basen

So, am considering this charger, though this price tag is heavy, i wonder if its worth it, apart from being able to charge fast.
Or should i just get the common 10amps slow charger...and wait it out.
Am looking at 32 cells of 280ah

US $248.00 | 0V to 120V 50A Voltage Current Adjustable Battery Charger Smart Li-ion Lifepo4 LTO 12V 24V 48V 60V 72V 84V 96V 10A 20A 40A 45A

So, am considering this charger, though this price tag is heavy, i wonder if its worth it, apart from being able to charge fast.

US $248.00 | 0V to 120V 50A Voltage Current Adjustable Battery Charger Smart Li-ion Lifepo4 LTO 12V 24V 48V 60V 72V 84V 96V 10A 20A 40A 45A
Time is money, sometimes.
32 cells is a big bunch.
I went small for 4 cells., let us know how you go.

I went with a 30v 10a power supply. But I charged eight cells in parallel. However, as I recall it only took two days.

I went with a 30v 10a power supply. But I charged eight cells in parallel. However, as I recall it only took two days.
I would not be in any big hurry, as this is a one in a lifetime upgrade for me.
My 4 x 12v 200ah flooded tubular batteries have been doing a heck if a job, and takes any abuse i throw at it.Yet to pull the trigger on the lifepos, prolly will get to me early jan, by the time i would have concluded my reading and pulled the trigger, ao want to plan and have everything ready and waiting

So i could charge them in batches of 8, so looking at 8 days, any downsides to this partial batch top balancing?

My initial try would be to parallel all 32 cells and see what progress it would make. You can always break it apart and do eight at a time later.

I'm short of bus bars at the moment... and have a 4S Configuration.

Q - What's the downside to me top balancing each cell one at a time rather than all 4 at once? I'll just hook up my power supply to each until they find the top, then move to the next...

Not a crisis...but I was hoping to get started on this until I can source some extra bus bars...I'm about to order some copper flat bar on-line and make one long bar for each side rater than bolting down several bus bars...

Q - What's the downside to me top balancing each cell one at a time rather than all 4 at once? I'll just hook up my power supply to each until they find the top, then move to the next...

Not a crisis...but I was hoping to get started on this until I can source some extra bus bars...I'm about to order some copper flat bar on-line and make one long bar for each side rater than bolting down several bus bars...

Cables/wires can also be used. You're not dealing with high amp loads in most top balancing situations, so a high amp bus bar isn't absolutely necessary.

Did mine in parallel, smashed a pipe, copper of course, drilled holes, slightly expanded to allow for a little movement and let 'er rip.
Actually did it for weeks, only when I was watching.
Suggest reading one of those thorough blurbs on top balancing.

Back