diy solar

diy solar

Initialize Daly 16S 150A Smart BMS?

B. Finger

Installed on a brand new 48V 120 A-hr LFP battery module. So I just can’t get this thing to initialize. I verified the balance wires were hooked up in the correct order (voltage increases 3.27 V in order), NTC connected, and I’ve short B- to P- a dozen times. I actually ordered 2 just in case one was bad. Neither one does anything. Neither one has puffed smoke. When I short the 2 negative leads, my downstream shunt comes on and reads the voltage spot on. Any help on how to at least power the thing on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 54172FA9-6F17-40FC-9F7A-A35BDCF2C9E2.jpeg
    54172FA9-6F17-40FC-9F7A-A35BDCF2C9E2.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 19
First - I have to believe there are thousands of these BMS out on the market and I'm really surprised how poor the user documentation (in English) is from the Daly. What I take from this is the US is way behind the rest of the world and we are just not a big enough market for them to pay attention to.

But on to getting this thing running. Perused various topics and threads,and saw something about shorting some pins out (but that was for another Daly BMS an the citified pins were not even on this one). Saw a few other things about this mystical "light board" which I assume is a bad translation for "LCD display" ? Anyway, that source mentioned something about a button to reset the BMS. Putting 2 an 2 together, I figured I'd just short all the pins where the "light board" plugs in. Low and behold the darn thing turns on (no clue which pins right now but will figure that out eventually).

Next I was trying to track down the iPhone app for the Bluetooth. Again, nothing clear I could fine from Daly, and nothing obvious popping out in internet searches. Searched "Daly BMS", "Daly Smart BMS" on the app store and nothing. Yes there are a few huge topics here on the Daly Smart BMS and I went through every page to no avail (one says somewhere along the waythat there is no iPhone app). Long story short is I stumble on a YouTube video (
) that has a hundred or so views and includes links to Arabic to Aliexpress! This gentleman provided enough information and a search on Apple app store for "Smart BMS" got me to the app! Added it to my iPhone, and it connected immediately to my BMS - first Bluetooth connection I have ever made where there was not even any pairing. Anywhoo, we are up and running (a few screen shots below)!

Hopefully more to follow as I get this this system fully up and running (still need to make facility AC connection to my 6kW 240V Split Phase Growatt and connect the 2kW of solar panels I have). The Growwatt unit is awesome so far. It's manual leaves a lot to be desired as well but is much better than the Daly documentation. And the unit powered right up and has worked flawlessly on the minor loads I have put on it so far (1.5kW on a single 120V leg).

Attachments

• IMG_7172.jpeg
    IMG_7172.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7173.jpg
    IMG_7173.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 13
Wow God Bless you my friend! I took 2 ring terminals, held by the wraps to make a short that could fit in there. Shorted the entire lightboard pinset and POOF it all started up!!!!

ow does one go about shorting the balance plug pins. I have two Daly 13S 20 Amp BMS that do not work.
I just dragged a wire across the pins where the light box plugs in. Don’t actually know which two it is. I ordered a light board but I have not even installed it since my system has been running non stop for 2 months or so.

Back