diy solar

diy solar

Inkbird temp controller and relay/solenoid/contactor question.

CAC

Hello,

I have a cabin that has a 4 315W (24V)panels in two arrays of two in series 66.6v 9.5A max per array to a SCC feeding a 4.8kwh LIFEPO4 24V battery bank. My BMS has no low temperature cut off. I was intially thinking of using a heating pad as some have done here, but my location hovers around freezing for 4 months with maybe two weeks of cold weather. During that time if the cabin is in use the batteries will be warm as they are in the cabin and it has a wood stove and could recoup most of the charge, hopefully, while warm. When the cabin is unused, which is the majority of the time in the colder months, the only draw on the bank will be for a cell booster, wifi hotspot and a blink security system.

My thoughts are that I could use an Inkbird and a couple relays to disconnect the panels when the temps dip. I would think the bank would have enough reserve to power my limited requirements for quite a period. Rather than keeping the batteries warm.

I tried finding a setup like this in the discussion, but couldnt find one. If this has been discussed my appologies and just point me to the thread.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I have 2x inkbird ITC308's hooked up to small heaters to keep my kids bedrooms warm in winter. They are really reliable.

Your idea sounds plausible :)

My thoughts are to use relays in the NO config just in case my batteries do run low and the temp drops. Any recommendation on relays?

You could use either an NO in the "cooling" port or an NC in the "heating" port

No recommendations per se. I'm sure a quick squiz on ebay/amazon will have you finding what you need. Either an AC type (if connecting it directly to the Inkbird) or DC via a small switching power supply (240->12v)

Back