diy solar

diy solar

Inline fuses: conventional or diodes?

AHUSAIN

Hello,

I am in the processing of purchasing 5 x 15A fuses of the fuse holder type. I have come across two types: A) What looks like a typical fuse. B) Diodes. On the outside, they appear the same. However, the diode based ones are much cheaper. Are these equivalent?

Here is the original/conventional fuse type:

In the assembly diagram, you can see the fuse.

Here is the diode type:

Notice the one on Amazon is indicated 5 fuses for only $17.49! The first item above is $12.99 per fuse. That's a huge price difference if I need to purchase 5.

Are these equivalent in function? Would the diode offer the same protection as a fuse?

Thank you.

Ali

a diodes job is to STOP current from flowing in one direction and allow it to flow in the opposite.
A fuse disconnects the circuit if the current is above its rated limited for a certain amount of time (fuses take a while to blow, even fast blow fuses).
So these are two different functions.

Also keep in mind when a diode is in a circuit there is a small amount of voltage drop when in the forward current direction (usually 0.6V or less)

Thanks for your response. Even though they are different, would the diode still offer the same protection in the end? This is what is suggested on the Rich Solar website where it says about their diode "Prevent large currents from damaging the solar panels."

Back