diy solar

diy solar

Inline Fuses - temp cutoff feature?

MisterSandals

Participation Medalist
I was testing my battery discharge to get a feel for its performance and cell behavior.
While running 66amps @13v from battery to inverter, my 100amp inline fuse would get hot and "cut out". I say "cut out" because the breaker lever didn't move as i would expect if it "tripped". But the test button got mushy until it cooled and then clicked back on all by itself (lever never moved).

Is this normal? I thought the breaker failed at first. My inverter and meter "flickered" a couple times and then power was cut.

No documentation (grrr). But the ad says:
Work Temperature: -10℃ to 50℃ (-14F to 122F).

This seemed to be its expected (intended?) behavior. Over the course of 4 hours of discharging, this happened about every 10-15 minutes. I could not detect any negative side effects or degradation in how the breaker functioned. I tested the breaker "test" button and reset lever quite a few times and all seemed normal (consistent anyway).

I was not expecting high performance or reliability from these breakers (using for testing only) but I have to say I am a little bit impressed with the heat cutoff. Its easier to get to the 50℃ level than I had hoped obviously.

300A shunt and meter to gather the data.
4x 206AH LiFePO4 cells (at 12v obviously)
Giandel 1200w Pure Sine Wave Inverter powering 740w space heater

A whole lot of that type of circuit breaker are a lie. I had one that was rated 300 amps. It was tripping at around 50 to 60 amps. You could by putting a volt meter to either side of the breaker to see how bad the voltage drop is. (Causing the heat)

Eesh... this is definitely not the intended behavior, but then again it doesn't surprise me - this type of thing (these failures come in many variations) is why I always strongly recommend using name-brand Bussman breakers and fuses in systems, because they actually perform to spec. I've personally seen over a dozen installations that have failed -in one way or another- due to using off-brand breakers and fuses, and spoken to victims of such failures in many more instances than that.

Back