diy solar

diy solar

inspected off-grid in BC

derekja

Hi, I wanted to start a thread about my installation and some of the mistakes I've made and get some feedback on where I'm planning on going from here.

I am building a 2100 sq ft off-grid house in British Columbia. I am under CEC2018 for this build, and when I started a I pulled a homeowner permit for the service install because I couldn't find a good local solar installer. I was going to wire the house myself as well, but a couple chats with the local inspector made me realize that this was going to be more trouble than it was worth and I did find an electrician I like who was able to do the house wiring.

Since they were recently given CSA approval, I ended up going with the MPP Solar LV6548, a pair of them, and put in a ground mounted array of 20 370 Watt solar panels. I used the Nader 200A breakers from Signature Solar and bought a rack and a single 48V 100Ah lifepower4 battery. Knowing I would eventually need more capacity, but not wanting to buy it until the inspector signed off on the equipment choices.

I have to say, I've been quite happy with the performance of this system and these components. In my testing they were able to handle the 1.5HP well pump, power tools like the air compressor, and everything has been working great. I missed some elements of what I would need for an inspected electrical install, though.

The first problems were in the main house panel. I had used a calculated load sizing for the panel, but the inspector has been unwilling to do that and needs to see a full 100 Amp panel based on my square footage. (brief digression on actual loads - heating, water heating, cooktop are all propane. I currently have an electric stove and an electric oven. The well pump and pressure booster pump are electric, as is the septic pump. Everything else is lighting and convenience outlets.)

OK, I started going down a path of load shedding and found a load shedding device that could accommodate that (https://shop.blackbox-in.com/products/evems-100a-service-60a-charger) and the inspector seemed to consider this an acceptable solution, although I was having a hard time finding enough loads to shed.

Next problem was the Nader breakers, not in the breakers themselves but in terms of the housing. Finding a DIN rail housing that fits the 2/0 battery cables has been challenging. This one is as yet unresolved, but Hammond seems to make a box that would work.

The batteries had to go. No CSA approval markings, and getting them individually approved through the SPE-1000 process was unworkable due to some components (breaker and BMS) not themselves having Canadian approvals. Again, nice product in terms of performance and they have been really helpful with such things as firmware updates to allow me to run two inverters off a single battery even outside of design recommendations, but I can't see how they are installable in inspected settings in Canada. Unfortunately its back to AGM for the time being since I already have those and the inspector has no issue with them.

The killer. I think this one is just unsolvable at this time. The LV6548 does not seem to offer any AFCI protection on the DC inputs from the solar panel. Now under 690.11 in the US I wouldn't necessarily need this. There is an exception for ground mounted arrays feeding into a building that houses only PV equipment. But this exception didn't seem to make it into the Canadian Electrical Code. I have found no reasonable solution to AFCI on the PV inputs.

I've also had a bunch of noise about the mc4 connectors on the lv6548 and how to make them compliant (strain relief, dc cabling in a conduit, etc) but nothing entirely unsolvable.

The inspector really wanted me off a homeowner permit and applied a lot of pressure to find a solar electrician. I could have resisted, but it would have taken time and money and I want to move in before winter, so I found someone. He would like me to consider dropping the inverters and suggests the Sol-Ark 15k. Expensive, but he has installed them successfully before and knows how to get them approved. The Outback Radian was the other suggestion. I'm a little bit worried about the imbalanced shutoff issues Davidpoz and others reported on the Sol-Ark 12k, but I figure I can add an autotransformer down the road if it becomes an issue.

Given all this, before I drop $14k Canadian on a Sol-Ark 15k, does anyone have thoughts for me?

Thanks!

If you would do a site-wide search on "permit" as a keyword, you would find many, many threads and postings which would show that you are certainly not alone in your dilemma.
I recently saw a thread about changes in the N.E.C which effectively outlaw installations of almost all homeowner-selected equipment and most certainly all D.I.Y. component-based systems.

OMG, after talking to 4 electricians, my electrical inspector and two other inspector's from nearby areas, I finally found someone who knew to point me to 64-102(a). I don't need to fully power the panel! I can power it only to the capacity of the inverter, as long as the inverter is sized to be greater than any INDIVIDUAL load connected to the panel. In my case, my 30 amp stove becomes the minimum inverter size permissible. Of course, I have 60A peak from the luxpower inverter I am now using, so no problem.

Just thought I'd update since this discovery has been a painful one to find. I'm glad I neither bought a second inverter nor a huge generator under pressure from the inspector.

Everything in BC is supposed to go through Technical Safety BC. There is little direct enforcement, except for insurance and building permit process though.

As a side issue - one of the reasons I went with Midnight Classic charge controllers is they have Arc Fault built-in (+ ETL certified). Very few systems have this but I wonder if having this on the PV -> Charge Controller would have been enough for you're situation? or did they want it on other circuits as well?

Glad you found a path forward - it's getting harder and harder to DIY solar these days.

As a side issue - one of the reasons I went with Midnight Classic charge controllers is they have Arc Fault built-in (+ ETL certified). Very few systems have this but I wonder if having this on the PV -> Charge Controller would have been enough for you're situation? or did they want it on other circuits as well?

Glad you found a path forward - it's getting harder and harder to DIY solar these days.
from what I heard both luxpower and sol-ark have arc fault on PV input built-in. if everything goes through electrical panel (gen input connected to inverter feeding to panel, etc.) then you likely need AFCI breakers.

Last edited:
I'm using luxpower and can confirm that it does have arc-fault built in. This is an annoying us vs Canada difference. My panel array is ground mounted with a dedicated power shed for the inverter, which in the US would have excepted me from needing arc fault. Canadian code brought over the arc fault requirement, but not the exception.

I'm using luxpower and can confirm that it does have arc-fault built in. This is an annoying us vs Canada difference. My panel array is ground mounted with a dedicated power shed for the inverter, which in the US would have excepted me from needing arc fault. Canadian code brought over the arc fault requirement, but not the exception.
same here, luxpower 12K, off grid in western canadian mountains. TOP mounts with large bi-facial array and diesel back up.

One of the issues in Canada (and in BC in particular) affecting design of off grid solar with storage is the language about allowing batteries inside a dwelling.

In most places in BC you have to consider the effects of winter cold weather on Li batteries so there are definite advantages in keeping them inside, particularly if you have a UL9450 cell level listed LiFePO4 battery system. With this certification you are allowed 20 kWhr of storage indoors per system, of any battery type (unless you get an exemption, or if the systems are separated by more than 1 m you can have 40 kWhr).

See Technical Safety BC Bulletin outlining these limits on storage:

Information Bulletin: Energy Storage

Ideally one would have an outdoor fireproof, well insulated shed for the batteries and equip them with automatic self heating, but all that gets complicated.

One of the issues in Canada (and in BC in particular) affecting design of off grid solar with storage is the language about allowing batteries inside a dwelling.

In most places in BC you have to consider the effects of winter cold weather on Li batteries so there are definite advantages in keeping them inside, particularly if you have a UL9450 cell level listed LiFePO4 battery system. With this certification you are allowed 20 kWhr of storage indoors per system, of any battery type (unless you get an exemption, or if the systems are separated by more than 1 m you can have 40 kWhr).

Ideally one would have an outdoor fireproof, well insulated shed for the batteries and equip them with automatic self heating, but all that gets complicated.
You're lucky. In Ontario the ESA (and the 2021 code) says 1kwh in a dwelling unit. They will consider more if the battery has "for residential use" on its stamp, but the room must have a 1hr fire rating.

We're limited to 40kwh in an attached garage and 80 in a detached structure.

It's a a bit rediculous when you factor on EVs are allowed with much much larger packs.

ok but if you keep them inside separate storage building thats heated then there is no limit?

You're lucky. In Ontario the ESA (and the 2021 code) says 1kwh in a dwelling unit. They will consider more if the battery has "for residential use" on its stamp, but the room must have a 1hr fire rating.

We're limited to 40kwh in an attached garage and 80 in a detached structure.

It's a a bit rediculous when you factor on EVs are allowed with much much larger packs.
there are people here who have over 90kwh in separate storage buildings that are heated. that limit is ridicolous

Yes, so stupid.
You can have a 200 kWh pick up truck with a relatively dangerous cells chemistry (NMC), but not a safe 50 kWh LFP :rolleyes:
I had that exact conversation with the inspector.

I got caught out. I pulled my electric permit in the 2018 code so I wired for Ac couple and Schneider with any lithium I wanted. I even checked with the ESA and they said that yes I was in the 2018 code.

Well the inspector wasn't having it. So I've had to redo everything I already did and start building a storage building. Luckily the batteries I bought are ul9450 with lux inverters, so it's not all bad news.

Back