diy solar

diy solar

Installing 2 new 300AH Chins clones - Dropped a wrench and ZAP. Any chance to recover?

liamlunchtray

I got a quick shower of sparks and now I'm not seeing any voltage from either battery. Is there any chance that there is a resettable breaker inside these things? Luckily nothing else was connected yet - I was just tying the 2 batteries together. I know the battery cases are like sealed - Is there anything that can be done? They're brand new but I'm not so sure I would be able to get a replacement from the vendor for something this stupid. UGH.

Some of the BMS'S need charging voltage applied to wake them back up after a fault (like an overcurrent fault)

If that doesn't wake them up and the vendor isn't helpful, you could cut the case open, find the damage (probably the BMS) and repair/replace as needed

Got any pics of the carnage?

Not much in the way of carnage - A melted spot on the terminal bolt and my wrench and thats about it. I was totally stupid for using a wrench with a metal handle.It's dark out now (It's in an RV) but I will try applying some charging current tomorrow and see how it goes.

The goal to wake up a BMS is to apply a voltage higher than the sum of the cells. So you need something that can do 13.6V or higher. I use the cheapo bench power supply if the battery is out of the camper or I use the solar if it is installed and the sun is out. My Multiplus II won't apply a charge to my battery if it is in protect mode.

Not much in the way of carnage - A melted spot on the terminal bolt and my wrench and thats about it. I was totally stupid for using a wrench with a metal handle.It's dark out now (It's in an RV) but I will try applying some charging current tomorrow and see how it goes.
You managed to melt a part of your wrench? Post a pic please.

Back