diy solar

diy solar

Installing 3 12volts 310Ah (930Ah total) battery banks on a RV

falco

Afternoon gents,

I just acquired and RV that has a residential refrigerator, which runs at 120volts. After a long weekend with the generator starting almost every hour at night, I decided to switch to Lithium. Currently I have 6 6volts lead-acid T105, providing 675Ah. I would like to order 12 CATL 310Ah to build 3 12volt batteries (930Ah total).

Since this will be my first time building a lithium battery and have a few questions:
1- Do I need a BMC per battery? Any recommendations? (the battery compartment is partially expose underneath, so I didn't want a fan where the dirt will affect it)
2- Any enclosure recommended? (to fit 4 batteries each). Hopefully this will protect the cells from the elements (heat, cold, dust)
3- Besides the batteries, BMC and enclosure, do I need anything else?
4- Would I have a hard time charging the batteries with the generator? any gotchas? Currently I have a Magnum MS2812 (converter/ inverter/ charger) rated at 2500 watts.

thank you much for reading and any advice you can provide.

Welcome to the forum.

1- yes. BMS typically limits your total current. 3 in parallel triple your current and offer redundancy if you have a problem with one.
2 - no recommendation.
3- Bus bars, beefy wiring to put them in parallel (see "Wiring" for best practices in link #2 of my signature).
4- check your inverter/charger charging voltage and current specs. The wattage is an inverter output specification. It likely has a lower charge power.

It's possible your inverter/charger settings don't properly utilize the available batteries and cycle excessively.

Afternoon gents,

I just acquired and RV that has a residential refrigerator, which runs at 120volts. After a long weekend with the generator starting almost every hour at night, I decided to switch to Lithium. Currently I have 6 6volts lead-acid T105, providing 675Ah. I would like to order 12 CATL 310Ah to build 3 12volt batteries (930Ah total).

Since this will be my first time building a lithium battery and have a few questions:
1- Do I need a BMC per battery? Any recommendations? (the battery compartment is partially expose underneath, so I didn't want a fan where the dirt will affect it)
2- Any enclosure recommended? (to fit 4 batteries each). Hopefully this will protect the cells from the elements (heat, cold, dust)
4- Would I have a hard time charging the batteries with the generator? any gotchas? Currently I have a Magnum MS2812 (converter/ inverter/ charger) rated at 2500 watts.

thank you much for reading and any advice you can provide.
I have two 280ah 12v packs paralleled in my trailer. I run a seperate 4s 120amp BMS for each pack. I run a 2000 watt inverter from it. It works great for me. IMO the only other way to get around using only 1 BMS is to have one that controls a large contactor. The Eve 280ah cells fit nicely into a group 31 battery box with room for a BMS (not sure if CATL 310ah cells are close to the same dimensions)

My recommendation is: Don't use an enclosure. Move the batteries inside the RV. Temperatures below 32° F are bad for charging LiFePO4 cells. The cells should be in a compression frame anyhow, which often won't fit into standard battery boxes.

Consider a different AC-DC converter. More amps, with a LiFePO4 charge profile.
Consider a DC-DC charger so that the charge from the 7-pin circuit is giving your batteries a LiFePO4 charge profile. There's a lot more to this than just putting a DC-DC charger in the circuit. Could you get by without a DC-DC charger altogether? Maybe, but the safe answer is no. The other alternative is to disconnect the charge from the 7-pin circuit. But this works only if you have solar to charge the batteries.

If the charger is programmable (you can adjust the voltage settings) then it will work. The very last thing you want is a converter/charger that is four stage. The fourth stage is an equalization charge that can be 15v or more. Good for lead acid, very bad for LiFePO4.

Back