diy solar

diy solar

Installing DIY Grid-tie from Legion Solar

DJones

Hello Everyone,

I was able to purchase Legion Solar DIY grid-tie solar this morning.

I got the starter set, two additional inverters to use with my existing panels, and two t-harnesses to connect the additional two inverters. All in, I will have 900 watts available. My air conditioner uses 3,000 watts, so it should make an impact to my electric bill. However, I'm getting my attic spray foamed next week, so that may also have an effect.

LegionSolar.png

This is my roof set-up with the existing panels. I am using S-5! clamps to mount them. These are BP solar panels, I'll add a fourth and run them in parallel pairs to feed the grid-tie inverters. The two panels from the starter set will be on the other slope of the roof. The ridge is north-south.

20191231_132854.jpg

I'll post updates as they become available.

After several weeks of waiting, they showed up on my doorstep.

I started working on the installation right away. It took me about an hour and a half to get everything connected, mounted, and ready to connect with the app. Photos are below.
BPSolar.jpg
Roof.jpg
Invert.jpg
IMG_7581_Resize.JPG
IMG_7577_Resize.JPG

As you may be able to see, there is only one panel on the front side of my roof. The second panel with the kit was broken during shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_7576_Resize.JPG
    IMG_7576_Resize.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 4
After spending an hour and a half connecting and mounting everything, it was time to configure the system with the app. Unfortunately, that is where things got off the tracks, really, really quick.

Getting my smartphone, which is the Nokia 7.2, installing the app, the Bluetooth is not compatible. It took me several hours to figure that out and I ended up resurrecting my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active.

Now, that I was able to get the app working on my really old phone, I started with the initial setup. In order to add the inverters, each has a 6 digit ID which is required. There goes another hour and a half to uninstall everything, snap a photo, then reinstall everything.

Very frustrated at this point. And it doesn't get better.
In order to set up the system, it recommends 10 am to 3 pm. Great! I'm home tomorrow and will continue then...
Sunlight.jpg
What!?!?

So the only panel that is producing power is the 160 watt from Legion. But it only makes a maximum of 63 watts after "calibration."

Screenshot_2020-07-04-10-13-07.jpg

The other two sets of BP solar panels are rated over 300 watts, but produce nothing so far.

I have a support ticket in with the manufacturer, so I will update when I get more info.

I live in Los Angeles and I'm on the fence with this system. I would love to install the Legion system in my backyard away from plain sight to not attract any attention. I've been wanting a solar system but I'm afraid that when the city inspector comes out he may want us to take down the nice patio shade structure the last owner built without a permit. Looks like you have your hands full.. I hope customer service helps you out.

After unsuccessful attempts to get it working and the broken panel replaced, I decided to pull the plug.

I am now researching self-installation of a 1kW grid-tie system with net metering.

Unexpected turn of events: I got word that FedEx will be delivering a new panel. It was delivered unscratched last week. I reconnected everything, on the ground though, and it is working as expected. I can't yet do a full calibration because a hurricane was passing by. For the poor location and only two inverters partially set up, I made 970 Wh yesterday.

Congrats, I hope you keep posting about your experience with the Legion kit. I'm very interested in it. It amazes me that you can plug it into a receptacle and feed power to your home. Does the solar power cross into other circuits or can it only be consumed on the one breaker circuit that it's plugged into?

Unexpected turn of events: I got word that FedEx will be delivering a new panel. It was delivered unscratched last week. I reconnected everything, on the ground though, and it is working as expected. I can't yet do a full calibration because a hurricane was passing by. For the poor location and only two inverters partially set up, I made 970 Wh yesterday.
@DJones We are all waiting for updates. Is it working? I am looking make an awning over my south facing french doors with a couple panels. Wondering if this is a real option or just a bad joke. -Bill

Back