diy solar

diy solar

Installing unirac ground mount piles

Dforster67

The instructions don't really specify how to install the C piles/posts that come with this system. From what I can tell they are designed to be driven into the ground about 6 feet. I don't have the ability to do that. I can use an auger to get about 4-5' deep and use concrete to set the posts. I think that should be just as good or better than driving them into the ground. But again there isn't much DIY information out there on these ground mount systems. So I am wondering about options or how others have done it.

As usual, my solar salesman was not any help at all during the design and decision making process.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Look at Ready Rack Solar. They have helical piles you screw into the ground using a tractor auger or skid steer (which you can rent cheaply).

The instructions don't really specify how to install the C piles/posts that come with this system. From what I can tell they are designed to be driven into the ground about 6 feet. I don't have the ability to do that. I can use an auger to get about 4-5' deep and use concrete to set the posts. I think that should be just as good or better than driving them into the ground. But again there isn't much DIY information out there on these ground mount systems. So I am wondering about options or how others have done it.

As usual, my solar salesman was not any help at all during the design and decision making process.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Are you saying you already have the C Piles on site and didn't know you had to drive them? Oh no if so.

I found these 2 videos that I found helpful with a few tips. I think the first video says 90% use augered holes with concrete. Rent a skid steer with auger, or borrow/rent a tractor with a 3-point post hole digger.

The first video is long, but look at about the 48 minute mark or just watch the entire video. The 2nd video, I watched the entire thing.

Back