diy solar

diy solar

Instant messaging (whatsapp/telegram/etc) rant. Am I alone in this one?

WoodsieLord

Buenos Aires, Argentina (230V monophasic, 50Hz)
If I insult you and delete it, did I insult you?
If I threaten to harm you and I delete the threat, did I threaten you?

Where is the world going with all these "self destructing messages"; the possibility to recall sent (and read!) messages.
The messaging platforms suddenly lost reliability.

The first time I've read about the possibility to erase messages as a feature to be implemented in future versions, I was unaware the rest of the messaging alternatives would follow that trend. I was terribly unaware that it would become a trend. I don't get it. I don't like it.

This has two sides to the same issue:
- First, people get used to these functions and abuse them to the point they no longer have an inner filter that makes them think if what they're saying is justified, well thought or accurate. I had loved ones say hurtful things, only to erase them moments later. A week ago a family member sent one of those infuriating politics videos that make you grind your teeth... when confronted she apologized "sorry sorry, you're right! I'll erase it!" and that's it! She erased it like it would "undo" or travel back in time. The later one was my mother, she's no teenager with uncontrolled emotions! On the contrary, she is clever person.

- Second, I've been threatened in the past. Someone left me plain voice-messages (old fashioned carrier, not whatsapp), face to face once. Never through instant messaging, yet. But I always wonder how can I protect myself?

Sometimes I feel like leaving instant messaging altogether but it's an incredibly hard thing to do. Me like most people, also use it for work.
I wish I could wireshark all whatsapp traffic but that sounds a bit crazy and time consuming.
Googling and finding my queries "corrected" as the opposite makes me super angry. And alone. .....

....Am I ?

Perhaps. Deleting messages has a positive aspect also. I suggest not fixating on the things you don't like and emphasizing the things you do. You will be a much happier person. There are many things in life you have no control over.

Post of the day award right here!

If you want to preserve it for posterity - or evidence - take a screen shot. They will have a tougher time deleting that.

If I insult you and delete it, did I insult you?
FWIW...Things on the internet are forever.
Would you prefer to be insulted through all eternity for everyone to see, or know that someone cared enough about you to realize they were wrong and did their best to make amends? Deleting a post along does not make amends, but it's a start in that it halts the injury to prevent further hurt.

A week ago a family member sent one of those infuriating politics videos that make you grind your teeth... The later one was my mother, she's no teenager with uncontrolled emotions! On the contrary, she is clever person.
My ire would be more focused on those that use psychological tricks to fool reasonably caring and intelligent people. That they have that sort of mind control over their thinking and actions should be frightening to them.

instant messaging "apps" much like twitter/facebook is just best completely avoided.

Never had a FaceBook / Twitter / Whatsup / TikTok account, never will. Cut cable TV in 2008.

As a matter of facts, I'm limiting my online time these days, by a lot. It's down to:

- online shopping for projects
- watching videos in order to learn new skills
- communicating on a handful of forums for projects
- day trading for 1 hour in pre market every day

I use an add-blocker everywhere I go, and stay FAAAAAR away from those clown ""news"" networks like CNN. Sick and tired of all the hate, bias and divide they push.

There is a lot of fighting and harmful results from people saying something and immediately regretting it and wanting to take it back. The opportunity to take a moment and think, "oh, my I need to delete that" isn't a bad thing. It would be better for people to take that moment before saying something, but we often don't.

FWIW, it isn't a new thing at all. Microsoft Outlook has had the ability to recall an unread email and delete it from the recipient for over 20 years.

Back