diy solar

diy solar

Instruction: Setting up EPEver Tracer MPPT for 7s lithium

Sparkoro86

Hey Solar Forum! I decided to make a post to help guide new owners of EPEver Tracer MPPT charge controllers, for setting up their 7s lithium charging parameters. I had some trouble at first and thought I'd share instruction, so that it's out there.

Problem 1: You need to buy an add-on module to change settings for lithium batteries, using an APP and an android phone, or using PC interface. Your choices are the EPEver eBox BLE (bluetooth), eBox WiFi, or EPEVER USB (PC interface).
I opted for the bluetooth connector ebox-BLE-01 because the wifi unit doesn't operate conveniently. Needed to EPEVER software on my phone, downloaded the lithium charge controller app from EPEver website, an APK file for android phones. This app connects with either BLE or WiFi and works Pixel 2 android phone. Status / information and settings are not updated in real time, You have to reload / refresh information data coming in and out of it from it by clicking the READ and SEND buttons if you want to see updated information or want to change settings.

Problem 2: EPEver Tracer won't save my USER battery settings for 7s.
Every time I manually input my User mode settings into the app, clicked SEND, but the Tracer unit wouldn't respond. Clicking around in the App's settings, I found it had configurations for 3s-6s LiCoO2 (lithium-cobalt) configurations.. but not a 7s configuration. To get around this problem, you need to first select the 6s configuration, and then go to user parameters and change it to appropriate 7s solar charge settings. It worked for me, I hope it saves someone some head scratching.

Last edited:
Hey Solar Forum! I decided to make a post to help guide new owners of EPEver Tracer MPPT charge controllers, for setting up their 7s lithium charging parameters. I had some trouble at first and thought I'd share instruction, so that it's out there.

Problem 1: You need to buy an add-on module to change settings for lithium batteries, using an APP and an android phone.
I opted for the bluetooth connector ebox-BLE-01 because the wifi unit doesn't operate as conveniently. I then needed to download software on my phone to program the unit, downloaded EPEver's app from their website, an APK file for android phones. This app connects and works well on my Pixel 2 phone, though it is not real-time. You have to reload / refresh information data coming in and out of it from it by clicking the READ and SEND buttons to send and receive data.

Problem 2: EPEver Tracer won't save my USER battery settings for 7s.
Every time I manually input my User mode settings into the app, clicked SEND, but the Tracer unit wouldn't respond. Clicking around in the App's settings, I found it had configurations for 3s-6s LiCoO2 (lithium-cobalt) configurations.. but not a 7s configuration. To get around this problem, you need to first select the 6s configuration, and then go to user parameters and change it to appropriate 7s solar charge settings. It worked for me, I hope it saves someone some head scratching.
That is interesting. I configure my Tracers with a PC interface. I wonder if the issue will be the same with the PC interface. I might check it out when I have a chance. I am building a portable 7s Li-ion and I have a Tracer that is not in service (at this time).

@DThames I will get the PC interface to try out as well. I'd like as many possible routes to programming this in case I need to rely on it.

Unless my software is old, my 8420an over USB to PC only gives voltage options in 12v increments up to 48v, and "auto". However i could always go in and adjust all of the charge parameters of my 8s LiFePo4 setup manually.

Back