diy solar

diy solar

Insulating tools against shorts.

Sgt Raven

Solar Addict
45+ years ago, when I was working at a gas station and installing batteries. I used a fine tooth 1/4" ratchet and socket on the terminals. After shorting it to ground a few times, I wrapped the handle with electrical tape and never had that problem again. If I was doing it today, I would use heat shrink tubing for the same reason. By doing this, if your ratchet slips out of your hand or you drop it, it may save you from sparks flying. Some heat shrink on the deep socket would help, too. It's along the same thing as electricians screw drivers are insulated.

I just got a roll of reinforced electrical tape off my shelf, and think this would be a good use for it.
I will take some pictures when I’m done.
Also, Harbor freight has plastic ratchets...

I believe that is the one Will uses.

Don’t forget your coupon ?

Don't forget to buy two. You'll need a spare for when the first one breaks.

Yes, I shop at HF. But I know better than to buy tools from them that have to work right, every time.

I generally find the hand tools work fine. The electrical stuff is throw away.

In case anyone is curious, I ended up getting this set from Home Depot instead. I think it was a terrific deal for less than $20! Really great for tight spaces.

1/4 in. and 3/8 in. Stubby Ratchet and Socket Set (46-Piece)

In case anyone is curious, I ended up getting this set from Home Depot instead. I think it was a terrific deal for less than $20! Really great for tight spaces.

1/4 in. and 3/8 in. Stubby Ratchet and Socket Set (46-Piece)

And remember this part!

• Lifetime Warranty with no questions, no receipt required.
  • I wanna see how they respond to melted tools from contact with bussbars...

I have an ongoing project in a small space. I think I would rather have stubby tools with small handles than big handles. But at least they're not bare metal.

I just bought a few extra sockets for all of the sizes that I need for the electrical system in my camper and put heat shrink on them. I bought a nylon ratchet to keep everything non conductive.

Back