diy solar

diy solar

Integrate Multiplus & Cerbo GX With Existing Victron Devices

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
My plan is to upgrade my existing 1000 watt Xantrex MSW inverter to the Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120 (2400 watts). I already have the Victron BMV-712 (with display) and two Victron MPPT 100/50 solar charge controllers installed. If I add the Cerbo GX and the GX Touch 50, how does that integrate with existing equipment? My thought is that the display part of the BMV-712 is made redundant by the GX Touch 50, but I'll still need the shunt.

Do I need to the bluetooth dongle for the Multiplus if the Cerbo GX is going to connect to the Multiple anyhow? What additional cables do I need?

Based on another thread I started for a friend, it sounds like I don't need the USB dongle for the Multiplus if I have the bluetooth dongle instead, as the Victron Connect app is allowing all the same configuration as the PC application does.

My plan is to upgrade my existing 1000 watt Xantrex MSW inverter to the Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120 (2400 watts). I already have the Victron BMV-712 (with display) and two Victron MPPT 100/50 solar charge controllers installed. If I add the Cerbo GX and the GX Touch 50, how does that integrate with existing equipment?

The GX becomes the master device coordinating all the other devices, sharing BMV temperature/voltage data w/MPPT and MP. Many configuration options will be available from the GX device.

It will be most convenient to use VC to program the MPPT and BMV if you want to change settings.

My thought is that the display part of the BMV-712 is made redundant by the GX Touch 50, but I'll still need the shunt.

Correct, but it comes with a really long cord, and you might like having SoC visible in the trailer w/o using a phone or tablet or the touch.

Do I need to the bluetooth dongle for the Multiplus if the Cerbo GX is going to connect to the Multiple anyhow? What additional cables do I need?

Only for management via VC. VC is not fully implemented for the inverters, but that's improving. If you want the convenience of config from VC, get the bluetooth dongle.

You'll need a Cat5-6 RJ-45 to connect MP to Cerbo.
You'll need VE.Direct cables for BMV and MPPT to Cerbo.

Once everything is connected, you will be able to download the MP configuration file from VRM for modification on a PC using VEConfig and then upload it back through VRM.

VEConfig can connect PC to the MP via MK-USB adapter and ethernet cable.

Based on another thread I started for a friend, it sounds like I don't need the USB dongle for the Multiplus if I have the bluetooth dongle instead, as the Victron Connect app is allowing all the same configuration as the PC application does.

Correct, you can use one or the other. You still have the VEConfig option through VRM as mentioned above even without MK-USB.

If the bolded is true, then my info is out of date; however most users will not be concerned with any VC shortcomings unless they're getting deep in the weeds with rarely used features.

Back