diy solar

diy solar

Interesting install...

Short_Shot

Solar Addict
So. Here's a thing. I'm impressed by the effort so far into this install. I won't post the location because it's nobody's business though.

received_589447292240569.jpeg

These panels went in recently nearby. We were heading north at the time of the photo, so they're facing south and slightly west.

This in and of itself is reasonably correct.

I'm guessing this side of that property was chosen for the afternoon sun, because until about 2 pm they're totally shaded by the trees. Either that or the plan is to thin out the trees later. So that's all well and good too.

However they're so close together that each panel shadows the one behind it!

I'm hoping the plan is to turn them all slightly more westward?

I haven't gotten a close look at them, but I'm hoping there's something I'm missing, or even better hoping the owner is coincidentally here and can satisfy my curiosity.

1) looks like they put the cart before the horse
2) they will probably get stolen
3) they will probably get graffiti
4) they will probably be target practice

1) looks like they put the cart before the horse
2) they will probably get stolen
3) they will probably get graffiti
4) they will probably be target practice

1) perhaps.
2) not so much an issue in this area.
3) same as 2.
4) still 2.

Well, since none of the panels share the same elevation or angle, maybe it is an elaborate security system? Or a gigantic clock… sun hits the first panel at 2, then every 20 minutes the next panel is illuminated, making a convenient timepiece…

having the power lines directly overhead, so even at perfect sun angle, there will be a cable shadow through the panel…

I’m with you on the curiosity…

So. Here's a thing. I'm impressed by the effort so far into this install. I won't post the location because it's nobody's business though.

View attachment 63396

These panels went in recently nearby. We were heading north at the time of the photo, so they're facing south and slightly west.

This in and of itself is reasonably correct.

I'm guessing this side of that property was chosen for the afternoon sun, because until about 2 pm they're totally shaded by the trees. Either that or the plan is to thin out the trees later. So that's all well and good too.

However they're so close together that each panel shadows the one behind it!

I'm hoping the plan is to turn them all slightly more westward?

I haven't gotten a close look at them, but I'm hoping there's something I'm missing, or even better hoping the owner is coincidentally here and can satisfy my curiosity.
I wonder if they paid $30k for that install? If the panels look like this, what does the rest look like?

They definitely have a lot of money sunk into something that at present is not good, even if it's diy.

Well, since none of the panels share the same elevation or angle, maybe it is an elaborate security system? Or a gigantic clock… sun hits the first panel at 2, then every 20 minutes the next panel is illuminated, making a convenient timepiece…

having the power lines directly overhead, so even at perfect sun angle, there will be a cable shadow through the panel…

I’m with you on the curiosity…
I particularly like the ones that are behind the poles lol

I dunno, it looks like they tried to make a fence out of surplus panels.

If they are really trying to harvest energy, they didn't calculate the math/geometry right, or at all.

I dunno, it looks like they tried to make a fence out of surplus panels.

If they are really trying to harvest energy, they didn't calculate the math/geometry right, or at all.
There's rather large gaps between them. Some fence lol

I am happy to report this person is reliably shading each panel with the panel in front of it even still. So they clearly have no clue how this stuff works. Each fall they get turned to face west, each spring they get turned to face SSE and shade each other all summer.

The top roughly 1/4 of each panel is in hard shade from the panel in front of it when in full sun.

I am happy to report this person is reliably shading each panel with the panel in front of it even still. So they clearly have no clue how this stuff works. Each fall they get turned to face west, each spring they get turned to face SSE and shade each other all summer.

The top roughly 1/4 of each panel is in hard shade from the panel in front of it when in full sun.
Is that FBI headquarters? ?.

Back