diy solar

diy solar

International, Sharing Solar Panel installation with 2 inverters (3 phase and 1 phase) off grid.

Nabil Gebrael

A challenge to the smart ones.

Is there a way to share the DC power output of an installation of many PV panels (i.e. 100,000 watts), between 2 inverters or more. I prefer not to split the panels into 2 arrays one for each.
My need:
- One load requires a 3 phase inverter (30kw). This 3phase load is not running all the time, it runs few minutes during each hour, and
- the other major load requires a single phase inverter. This 1 phase load is running most of the time.

the question is how to connect both inverters to the same PV installation, so that the 1 phase load can benefit from all panels when the 3 phase is not needing it.

I welcome any questions or idea. If interested i can go into the detail of the installation and how it solve big problems for me.

Thanks,
Nabil
24 April 2022

Actually… now that I think on it more… you could have the pv output going into a load switch… and choose which device is connected to the array… you would have to shut down the device before switching to the other.

Actually… now that I think on it more… you could have the pv output going into a load switch… and choose which device is connected to the array… you would have to shut down the device before switching to the other.
Will it work in a parallel mode (on the Panel DC Side). the inverter needing power will just consume it and distribute it to the appropriate load.

Will it work in a parallel mode (on the Panel DC Side). the inverter needing power will just consume it and distribute it to the appropriate load.
I don’t see how… most inverters are MPPT, and they pull max panel output… having an additional load on there would mess up the device.

I don’t see how… most inverters are MPPT, and they pull max panel output… having an additional load on there would mess up the device.
so can 2 mppt be connected to the same PV array? will it be a problem if the MPPT is connect to a PV array much larger than its capacity? any device to regulate and protect the MPPT?

No.

An mppt is designed to draw max watts from an array. More than one scc per array would be bad.

Back