diy solar

diy solar

Intro to BesTech BMS Systems

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Introductory Post for BesTech BMS and electronics.

I had previously considered these for my systems because of the advanced features, functions and capabilities. The price point is fairly good but I chose to go with Chargery BMS. The Chargery's are fine but when you start to get into several packs within a bank, things become unwieldy for management and interaction. I have more or less outgrown what the Chargery's can do for me. As my Midnite & Samlex gear do MODBUS (sorry I cannot provide Samlex Modbus info, I have a developer NDA) the need to have the battery packs be able to interact with the devices is more important than ever.... even moreso as I am moving beyond 4 battery packs in the LFP bank.

The Bestech BMS' have various models for wide variety of uses. I am at present revisiting the HS-015 but there are others worthy of consideration. Please Note that these are not "discount value BMS", they are more in line with TinyBMS and higher level systems.

The Main BesTech Site: BesTech Power: The Best Technology for Power Solutions--Battery PCM/BMS/PCB

The HS-015 :
100A~1000A Battery Management System,Programmable BMS with CANBus, RS485, RS232, UART Communication protocol-BesTech Power Co., Ltd
202042035046814.jpg

• Balancing Wire Port – battery pack balancing sensing wires, 1st wire can be used as ON/OFF or reset
• 4 X External Temp. Sensors – 8 Pins connector for 4 x external sensors
• LCD/Bluetooth/WiFi Module for external connections
• GPIO Port – 12 Pins for e-switch/ignition key, external systems such as SOC LED, alarm buzzer… the definition of GPIO socket as the figure below.
• Communication Port: CANBus, RS485, RS232, UART

• Relay Port: For external relay, external heating/cooling system

Communication Protocols
BMS supports different communication protocols, HS006 integrated with 1x RS485, 1x RS232, 1x CANBus, 1x UART, all communications are isolated except for UART, the default baud rate used in current communication implementation is set as 19200KBPS, contact BesTech support for different baud rate setup, such as 9600K or others.

P.S. RS485, RS232, CAN communications can be used simultaneously.

BMS communicates with windows PC utility thru UART/RS485/RS232/CAN protocol, customer need purchase BesTech programming tool separately to do the programming and reading for all parameters.

Please note that I am very seriously considering these units shown above and am looking into my options. IF (likely) I get these and start testing & installation, I will of course write a review of sorts for fellow members. TBH, I am going to push them hard to the point of almost abuse to make sure they do what I need & want.

IF there are any members here who have Bestech BMS', please feel free to Chime In with your thoughts on the product.

Thanks & Have a Great Day.
Steve

Watching. Still haven't decided on the BMS for my 16S (yes, 16S) 39kWh NMC bank I'm working on.

WELL NERTZ or SHNOOTS
HS-015 apparently won't work with parallel battery packs per their rep.
What the heck ! Relay Contactor controlled BMS.
maybe rep misunderstood but most unlikely unless he had his head in a bucket while banging on it with a hammer.

Having interesting chat with HelTec folks...

Had enough with unreliable SOC, want ModBus, can deal with RS485 but real interactive comms is needed. Must be accessible from Linux / PC and use proper protocol for ModBus or whichever, no proprietary software only solution.

Hi Steve,

When you mentioned these, I went searching for a manual. The BesTech Power webpages for these BMS boards have lines on them that say "download the communications manual here.", but no links to download the manuals. Did they provide you any documentation or have you found the links? I've gotten very frustrated with manufacturers who won't provide good documentation on their products.

The rep did not provide anything.
I even aimed Amy at them to look at carrying the products, she was supposed to meet with them today/tomorrow, hopefully I can abend that.
She's up to good things... shhhhhh

I had a Bestech manual a while ago but I can't find it in my files now... I hadn't worried about it as I figured I could always download one if/when I wanted... Not the case and to me that is a Big Red Flag. no online docs etc, not good.

Stupid thing, they tick every checkbox for features & functions and the heating / cooling relay triggers for several would be a HUGE bonus too.

Well, Jason has studied the TinyBMS, Orion & Rec specs. He's getting good tech advice & suggestions. They are working hard in the Chargery Kitchen, I would not be surprised they come out with something that is quite a step up. I guess I'll wait and Kludge up a temp fix for now.

So the mess below remains preserved as is and tied down (fully secured) till things can be updated & fixed.

LFP-Battery Bank.jpg

Reactions: Dzl
A quick BLURP UPDATE.

I took a chance to contact BesTech directly as opposed to trying through their retail side.
Am now in communications with the one of the company owners directly.
Have suggested they may want to sort their rep out but also getting "genuine" clarification on their products.
Have also suggested they may want to send a couple of evaluation BMS' at Will for review & sent them Will's Shipping Address.

I have been exchanging information & discussing for 4 hours now since just after 02:00 hours my time. Finally getting to the "Upstairs" which is more intelligently informed.

The Point here, I wish to evaluate the HS-015 (shown above) and if they pass muster (and a very rude impolite hard test & abuse cycle) I will post about it Should I get one. If it fails, well everyone will know... IF they pass muster and operate as they should for the purpose, I will share that as well.

FYI reminder, these are a Different Level of BMS at a different price point (higher). These are not $100 or $200 Value models...
This is also Try 3 to get Clear & Correct info without a sales agent who knows nothing. Seems like that connection is now properly made.
Rule of Three applied, it is the FINAL ATTEMPT, there is no 4th chances.

Back