diy solar

diy solar

Inverter and Charge Controller Shutdown Issue

I have a Giandel 1200 psw inverter. Batteries to inverter I think I used 2/0 might have been 3/0.

A short (14”) distance 8ga will ‘work’ for a short time, 50A slow-blow fuse *might* last a few minutes.

You need bigger cables!! Look up ABYC DC wire size chart. For the inverter, 2400w surge is 200A. Size for 200A and go one size up from that. Notice the size changes depending on length. Use a 200A inline circuit breaker.

That will solve the issue. At least THAT issue.

(I use 8ga cabling from 100W 12V panels!)

980W at the AC output of inverter, that means the inverter will draw about 90DCA, that 50A fuse should have blown and you are using only 8AWG wire, and you also use 50A rated SB50. Something is not right.
Tested the inverter again with a heat gun. On the low setting it was pulling 200W for about 30 seconds. I bumped it up to the high setting and the 50 amp fuse blew immediately.

I have a Giandel 1200 psw inverter. Batteries to inverter I think I used 2/0 might have been 3/0.

A short (14”) distance 8ga will ‘work’ for a short time, 50A slow-blow fuse *might* last a few minutes.

You need bigger cables!! Look up ABYC DC wire size chart. For the inverter, 2400w surge is 200A. Size for 200A and go one size up from that. Notice the size changes depending on length. Use a 200A inline circuit breaker.

That will solve the issue. At least THAT issue.

(I use 8ga cabling from 100W 12V panels!)

I bought the ABYC DC wire size chart. I mistakenly used 8ga wire because I didn't understand what "load" meant on the Renogy scc. Thanks to Bud Martin for setting me straight. The wire chart indicates I need 2/0. My batteries have an SB175 Anderson connector. The 3' parallel cable is 6ga. I will need to build a parallel cable with 2/0 cable. I'd like to terminate both batteries into a single Anderson connector, but I'm not sure if two 2/0 cables will fit in a single lug. Will probably have to go with a buss system. In the meantime, I'll just have to keep the load safe.

I should have purchased batteries with battery posts instead of the SB175. Time to think about a DIY battery build. In a way I'm glad I screwed this up because I learned so much from this forum.

parallel cable.JPG

New guy here! While you are on the subject of Renogy Rover 40a , can I use a 340watt/35volt Q-cell Hanwha, with my 40a Rover , to power a 12v battery system? Asking for a friend.

New guy here! While you are on the subject of Renogy Rover 40a , can I use a 340watt/35volt Q-cell Hanwha, with my 40a Rover , to power a 12v battery system? Asking for a friend.
Welcome here
You should a) start your own thread on this, and b) go to their website and read the manual for it.

Attachments

• 44402A56-4C55-4DF9-86CC-4A62F82E60CD.png
    44402A56-4C55-4DF9-86CC-4A62F82E60CD.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 0
Back