diy solar

diy solar

Inverter Breaker/ Wire Gauge Recs

Dmoss315

Hey guys,

New to forum and building my first Off Grid Solar system. I've watched a bunch of Vids and feel pretty comfortable with most of the components. However Im haveing a hard time caluculating the requirements for the Inverter I'm looking at getting.

Just for Background im looking at getting The 800W Solar kit from Renogy, a 200AH Battery 12V (To Start), and the 3000W Renogy Inverter. It has a 3000w Continuous and 6000W Surge.

My two questions are what size Breaker do I need and what guage wire should I use.

Thanks.

3000w Continuous and 6000W Surge.
Can the 12v battery deliver this current, around 275 amps continuous and 550 amps peak?
Do you really need a 3000 watt inverter, what are the expected AC loads?

With typical technical support Renogy do not offer and real guidance on the selection of protection and cable size for the 3000 watt inverter.

At a guess 3/0 cable and a 350 A fuse or breaker. ( breaker neds to be a high quality item).

Mike

Ok Got it. Thanks for the help. I think I could/ Should bump down to the 2000W Inverter. Which I think means I need roughly a 250A breaker with 2/0-3/0 cable does that seem right?

Back