diy solar

diy solar

Inverter Cable Gauge Question

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Hey all,

So I want to use Anderson SB175 quick connects for making my battery mobile between home and our off-grid cabin. (Side note: I've also been eying the BigBattery 170AH power block as well, which also uses SB175).

It appears that the largest cable that connector supports is 2 Gauge (at least pre-made cables by BatteryCablesUS). My Inverter is a 1000W (2000W surge). Is a 2 Gauge cable ok to go about 8' (distance from Inverter to battery location)?

Thanks,

Jeff

Depends on wire gauge, voltage, current and distance. Judge for yourself by inputting those parameters here:

The voltage drop % is equivalent to a % power loss. Lower is better. When voltage drop is subject to the electric code, 5% max is acceptable.

Thanks Snoobler,

According to that calculator, I'm around 3% drop at 8'

The smallest gauge of wire that I'm now using is 3/0. I prefer 4/0. I make my own connectors for it with 1/2" copper pipe where I solder the wire in one end, and flatten the other end for bolt tightening.

SB175's are commonly found/made with 1/0 cable. They do make a 2/0 option as well, just harder to find pre-made so you'll likely have to crimp yourself (which is easy)

I have a similar modular setup to what you describe - with multiple 24v battery banks using SB175's for portability and no-tool-required connections.

-Matt

Reactions: JAS
So I looked a little harder and did indeed find 1/0 pre-made cables. However, after seeing the price of those (@ $100), I think I'll find a way to keep the inverter closer to the battery :)

Look on Ebay - I've ordered some pre-made ones for much, much cheaper. Depends on the length (copper ain't cheap) - but I paid closer to $25 with free shipping for some 1' and 2' cables.

Look on Ebay - I've ordered some pre-made ones for much, much cheaper. Depends on the length (copper ain't cheap) - but I paid closer to $25 with free shipping for some 1' and 2' cables.
Yes, the prices I found for around $100 were for 8' cables...

My calculator shows at 8 feet, 16 feet round trip, you need AWG-0. You could get by with AWG-2 at 5 feet or less oneway.

Reactions: JAS
Back