diy solar

diy solar

Inverter/Charger/ DC to DC charger Confusion

In fact, if i look through my inverters settings agin, i think i can limit its output as well as what it will draw from the batteries, among a plethora of other things.
From memory you have a Samlex Evo.
Which is in the top teir of quality and configurability.
Most folks doing mobile applications don't even see the wisdom of an inverter/charger on the first iteration.

The folks who are asking these questions are buying old discrete inverters with minimal configurability.
I've been here long enough to see how many come back after 12-18 monthes looking to do it right the second time.
We all learn as we go. Preferably, from others who already have learned. But sometimes, from our own mistakes. These types of systems are always evolving. It's hard sometimes to plan for the future.
But if you can, it saves you a lot of headaches and work.

I wouldn't say "steered" but Steve_S definitely touted it as a top tier inverter in every regard. I looked through its features, did a cost-value comparison, then reached out to their email support, and the quick response there was the final clincher for me.

Once I upped my budget and started considering victron, samlex became an opened up option.

I wasn't going to be able to get what I wanted reliably with cheap inverters, and decided the inverter was the best place not to skimp on. Especially when taking other things into account like: built-in 2-way transfer switch (discrete grid and generator input), the plethora of configuration options,and low frequency reliability with 3x surge capability.

Thanks for your assistance, btw. This forum was an extreme help in my endeavor..

Last edited:
Most of the new folks that drop down the chute don't even know that they will want an automatic transfer switch and they think that charging from PV will be all that is required.

To be clear I am talking about mobile applications.

Most of the new folks that drop down the chute don't even know that they will want an automatic transfer switch and they think that charging from PV will be all that is required.

To be clear I am talking about mobile applications.
ATS wasn't a requirement, but with an increased budget, it was pretty much a given and an added selling point. It was well-worth the investment. Especially if youre in a RV park that has spotty/shoddy electricity. you'll also want good surge protection to go with that. I went with a progressive industries 50a ESD to hard wire into the shore power circuit. Protect your investment.

And yes, this is a mobile application.

Back