diy solar

diy solar

Inverter-charger or Inverter+charger? Honda Odyssey with 560ah 12v lifepo

Anyway, solar powered ventilation Ive done a few of. This was a 95 honda passport(isuzu rodeo) there was a 10w panel on the roof the blower was an ebm pabst 24v so it was directly hooked to the panel. Yes it was a lot of sheet metal work not just cutting the slot but flattening the area. It was very effective moved a lot of air.
DSCN1062.jpg
If its not obvious, thats the upper rear hatch frame. Perfect cuz it vented outside with no air resistance but no water intrusion either. Ran when the sun shined on it.

Im working on something for the odyssey, out of tinted polycarbonite. Have most of the pieces cut. Each rear side window rolls down 7" and in the void goes tinted lexan, sealed air tight. On one side a blower pulls air in, the other side another blows out.
May work great may not, its a backup plan if my air conditioner install doesnt go as planned. Or it augments it.
I have the nimbus grey color, its not black but its hotter than white.
Dont regret it, on the lot next to it was a white one and it didnt look too stealthy at night.
I have heard that lt. silver metalflake may actually be cooler than white. Only 50% of the suns rays are visible light, thats the RGB spectrum that white reflects. Allegedly, silver metalflake reflects more UV energy.

Last edited:
Some nice ideas! I will look into a projector for sure.

I also have a large ice tea jug flying around. The porta pottie is only for emergencies or when public restrooms look like hell.

I just installed window / door shades. The first set from Weathertech broke, this time I bought some with 3M tape that attached to the outside. Only for the front windows since the rears always have windows shades in place.

In order to get the hot air pushed out, I have 2 x 120mm axial fans on order. They will be installed on the cabin exhaust vents in the rear. They will pump in cooler air from underneath the rear bumper, on the sides. They only use 1.4 watts each and can run any time the engine is off.

Also got a smart Victron inverter on order. Will go into the stow-n-go cubbies in the floor with 280 Ah Lipo4 batteries and charge controller. For now I'll stick with alternator charging, but I may add 1 x 385 watt panel later on.

2011, got this thing for only 3k. I call it my beach beater camper. Only for day and long weekend trips. Older photos, work in progress...

View attachment 45038

View attachment 45041

View attachment 45037

View attachment 45044

View attachment 45045
Thats kind of the opposite way mines set up, it just ended up that way. I have a national luna fridge freezer behind the drivers seat. I sleep on camping pads on the floor.
If I wasnt hesitant about drilling holes Id have mounted a fold up bed platform to one side. Have it hinge down and hang from the ceiling. I still have the third row foldaway seats in place, the 40 one is up, the 60 is down. Both really wasted space, when the AC goes in Im removing both.
The air conditioner is tiny about 16" square footprint x 29" tall, but 10k btu. As its a single hose its not real effective but its very simple so just sealing off the bottom third and having an equal hose feed that should make it operate like a dual hose unit, its main fan should pull enough air past the coils.
Finally on the projector, theres some horrible ones on the bottom of the price scale, and its difficult to find any place to demo them first. I tried an $89 one. Bad joke. The lg msrp was 650, best buy had a sale for 500. Anything lesser in picture quality Id have not been happy... And mine did brick at 6mos. LG replaced it under warranty, took about a month, they paid all postage. At about 4.5 ft away it fills the open area behind the seats perfectly. I hang the screen from a plexi sheet tucked into the moonroof that I hung curtains from.

Last edited:
I have kind of a simular need in one of my small trailers. I decided not to go with an inverter charger because I've been burned in the past with all in one type devices. Plus with my batteries I want to choose when they get charged or not. So I have my charger on a switched outlet that I can control.

I went with this inverter. Power wise I have not had a problem pulling 1600watts for a hour. But the cooling fans can get a bit annoying.(FYI this vendor is great! I highly recommend)
And I use this for a transfer switch (only complaint is the wires are a little short)

I'm on my second C7. Planning to keep this one for the long-run. One of the last ones on the lot, came with a 12k discount.

View attachment 45392
Beautiful car, but wow that color, my license wouldnt last long.
Then again, at my age, (57) guess I wouldnt be speeding so much. I drove through my 20s and early 30s with a revoked license, I just took off when I saw the red lights, and usually had the vehicle to do it with ease. Subsequently havent had a ticket since Reagan was president.
When I finally got my record clear enough to get my license back they made me do a behind the wheel test, scored a perfect 200/200 just because of all those years looking out for the law.
On another note it was said by many auto journalists for years that GM would never do a mid engine Vette, due to potential lawsuits from snap oversteer. (Which anyone who has ever owned an MR car knows is real and deadly). The C7 is the last real Corvette and though the C8 may seem like a bargain I think its lost the soul of the marque. Note brake by wire... But still seeing a lot of nasty wrecks.
"Never lift off throttle at mid apex."
(My first car was a 914. Great car, lucky I survived it)

Last edited:
Beautiful car, but wow that color, my license wouldnt last long.
Then again, at my age, (57) guess I wouldnt be speeding so much. I drove through my 20s and early 30s with a revoked license, I just took off when I saw the red lights, and usually had the vehicle to do it with ease. Subsequently havent had a ticket since Reagan was president.
When I finally got my record clear enough to get my license back they made me do a behind the wheel test, scored a perfect 200/200 just because of all those years looking out for the law.
On another note it was said by many auto journalists for years that GM would never do a mid engine Vette, due to potential lawsuits from snap oversteer. (Which anyone who has ever owned an MR car knows is real and deadly). The C7 is the last real Corvette and though the C8 may seem like a bargain I think its lost the soul of the marque. Note brake by wire... But still seeing a lot of nasty wrecks.
"Never lift off throttle at mid apex."
(My first car was a 914. Great car, lucky I survived it)

I'm not even 10 years behind you. Got a massive speeding ticket not too long ago and was lucky that the officer was willing to lower the charges. Ever since I'm questioning if I should keep the Vette. It's so intoxicating to bang through the gears. I will have to watch myself closely and if I can't control myself, I'll sell it. Sad as it is. I spent over 3 decades on the German autobahn, so that speed bug sits deep.

I was on the C8 waiting list but gave up after my allocation was moved back a 4th time due to GM workers being on strike, so I bought that C7.

The C8 is truly a barging for being a mid engine car with a dual clutch. That being said, I had a couple run-ins with one and they are only marginally faster.

Never lifting the throttle past alex is a rule I learned when racing bikes. Once you get into the throttle mid-turn, you have to be committed. A rear stepping out with power cut will regain traction sideways, compress the suspension, and make you go fly... high.

Testing the fans. They indeed put some pressure out. Will see how it goes...

Attachments

• 20210417_131223.jpg
    20210417_131223.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2
I have a Honda Odyssey with golf cart batteries I am soon upgrading to 2 4cell 272/280 ah diy lifepo banks. Running a National Luna fridge/freezer, some fans/blowers, an LG projector, phone chargers etc. Adding 200 watts solar. Been using a Redarc 50a dc-dc charger that the solar will plug into. Have a harbor freight predator 2000 genny. Im gonna need to upgrade the charger, and get a bigger (~2000 watt) inverter, because the goal with all that power will be to use a portable AC im going to install, for about 4 hrs every other day. Its a very small (footprint)unit, 10k btu, draws 6.5 amps @117v when running, and Im converting it to dual hose operation.
Okay so Ive been looking first at inverter-chargers, and was ready to pull the trigger on one, then realized they dont let you use both functions at once. Or do they? The AC will mainly run off the inverter, though infrequently could use the genny, but I can think of a lot of times I would have loads on the inverter but would like to charge at the same time. Can I do this with a separate inverter and charger through the 2 lifepo banks, or do I need some kind of converter?

This thread might lead to recommending reliable brands, but will leave that question alone until I know which device(s) I need.
Hi Batvette,
I am interested in your setup. I own a 2014 Odyssey that I'm working to convert into a camper van. I have a 200 w solor setup and a 30 a. Controller that's fine for a lithium battery, I'm not to sure about dc2dc.Controller coming from the main battery to the house battery. I'm looking for advice on the AC unit that you will be installing. If you would please let me know the name, and where to find out about them.
Thanks

Hi Batvette,
I am interested in your setup. I own a 2014 Odyssey that I'm working to convert into a camper van. I have a 200 w solor setup and a 30 a. Controller that's fine for a lithium battery, I'm not to sure about dc2dc.Controller coming from the main battery to the house battery. I'm looking for advice on the AC unit that you will be installing. If you would please let me know the name, and where to find out about them.
Thanks
Ive got 2 100w panels finally going up in a week or two, its been a slow process because I wanted them mounted between the roof rails, to be inconspicuous. And Im painting the mounting frame same color as the rails.
As for the AC its just a portable unit, I picked it up used a few years ago and stored it. It was the smallest one I had ever seen though and blows real cold, only uses 6.5 amps continuous. It also allows you to start in fan only mode then turn it to cool, so both compressor and blower dont start at once.
Its a single hose unit which generally suck, but I believe I can convert it to function like a dual hose unit with some mods. Both hoses will have to vent out of holes Im going to cut in the 3rd row seat tub wall.
How do you like your '14? Ive been thinking about a newer odyssey, about that year. I understand reliability started to drop off not long after that, the odyclub forums are full of horror stories from 5th gen owners.

20211005_124711.jpg20211005_124739.jpg20211005_124637.jpgfinished the AC as expected, a little after the last warm week of the year. A rush job, could be prettier but its quite functional. Note the second hose, that really works, draws all its cooling air for the coil from the outside making it a sealed system. The intake is 4", the exhaust is 6" so I sleeved it in 7" aluminum to insulate it. Ive got a black plexiglas cover for the outside to cover the holes when not in use just gotta mount it. The wooden window plate has a rubber seal at the window. Currently i have only tested with generator.

Back