diy solar

diy solar

Inverter/charger setting

ddutton

Seeking advice on Inverter/charger settings. I use my gen a couple times a day to fill my pressure tank and I’d like to maximize that charging time. The lithium iron phosphate batteries have such a flat voltage curve that even at 70% the charger goes straight to float charge. I have a magnum mm1224. It has a remote so I can manually set absorb and float. My batteries are 280ah configured to 24 volt. What settings do I need to get the charger to kick into bulk charge? Thanks.

I don't have experience with that unit.
Its good to include a product link so that we can find the manual to see what the specifics are.
So this is generic advice.

Try these
bulk/absorb=3.55 volts per cell
If the absorption phase is terminated by tail current set it to 14 amps
If an absorption timer set it to ~15 minutes
disable float

Hopefully you have a shunt based battery monitor and a bms that allows you to see the cell delta.
Discharge until the weakest cell starts to nosedive.
Make note of the pack voltage when it does.
You want to re-bulk before that cell nose dives.
After a couple of cycles the shunt based battery monitor will tell you how much of the battery you are using.
Since we don't know the charge current and the charge current is probably not totally deterministic tweak as necessary to get pack 90% full(~252 amp hours) and the re-bulk setting to just before the weakest cell starts to plummet.

If you really want to float you can set it to 3.35 volts per cell but since your are charging from a generator that is probably not what you want.

Yes I have the remote now set to 28.4 absorption and 27.0 float.
Batteries at 26.7 v or 75% doc. Start gen and goes straight to float no charge. I have it set to charge at 30 amps bulk.

Google "magnum mm1224 goes straight to float"

etc

Sounds like there may be some problems with those units.

After doing a bunch of research I discovered this inverter when it sees over 26 volts it decides the battery is charged. That’s 3.25 per cell, they don’t get below that until they are down to less than 10% soc now I need to see if magnum will update the software on them.

After doing a bunch of research I discovered this inverter when it sees over 26 volts it decides the battery is charged. That’s 3.25 per cell, they don’t get below that until they are down to less than 10% soc now I need to see if magnum will update the software on them.
Did you try disabling float?

What research led you to that conclusion?

That sounds like legacy lead acid train of thought.

I wonder if you dropped 1 cell out from 8s to 7s, things would work better. Maybe you would run into other problems.

That sounds like legacy lead acid train of thought.

I wonder if you dropped 1 cell out from 8s to 7s, things would work better. Maybe you would run into other problems.
Thought of that then single cell voltage would be too high.

There might be some opportunity using equalize mode if you can set its voltage.

I got it work by forcing it into equalize mode. Generator isn’t on long and charge monitored. Inverter is 14 years old so this method will work until I have to upgrade.

Back