diy solar

diy solar

Inverter / Charger

Zonphirst

Hi all - I'm looking for thoughts on whether to separate the inverter from the shore power charging or to have a single unit to do this job. Any recommendations if it is recommended to use a single unit?

An inverter/charger is certainly a lot simpler than setting up a separate inverter, charger, and transfer switch.

Something like a Victron MultiPlus is an excellent choice for an inverter/charger. I'm extremely happy with mine.

But the decision could be affected by your specific situation. Post a bit more about your planned setup. Is it for a completely new system or retrofit into an existing system? Mobile? Residential?

An inverter/charger is certainly a lot simpler than setting up a separate inverter, charger, and transfer switch.

Something like a Victron MultiPlus is an excellent choice for an inverter/charger. I'm extremely happy with mine.

But the decision could be affected by your specific situation. Post a bit more about your planned setup. Is it for a completely new system or retrofit into an existing system? Mobile? Residential?
rmaddy - I have a new build sprinter. My plan is to run a solar array in parallel (400w) and alternator through a Renogy 50A controller / charger and into a Victron Lynx distributor with the 200Ah Lithium battery on "the other side". Had intended originally to have a separate inverter and shore power charger. Wanted also an inverter that I could run hardwires through and not just plugs. Came across the Renogy 2000W inverter / charger all in one and it looked appealing as it was cheaper than the Victron and still seemed to do the job.

PLEASE do your research on Renogy ! They have a Reputation and not a good one.
I have to say BUYER BEWARE ! Search here about problems with their support/service & product quality.

What would be a good recommendation for an inexpensive inverter/charger that's not bad quality?

I ask because, like @Zonphirst, I also have the Renogy DCC (except mine's the 30-amp model). For a moment, I was eyeing the MPP Solar 1000-watt all-in-one but it doesn't support alternator charging. Knowing Renogy's "hit or miss" reputation, I opted for a Giandel 1200W inverter but now I'm considering my shore power options.

Perhaps I would have been better off getting the MPP Solar 1012LV-MS and then adding a DC-DC charger so I could charge off the alternator?

Last edited:
and alternator through a Renogy 50A controller / charger a
I too am not a Renogy fan but if you already have this, my impression is that its OK as an alternator/DC-DC charger but falls down horribly when combined with or used exclusively with solar.

My plan is to run a solar array in parallel (400w)
What will your array be in parallel with? Or are you talking about panels in parallel (which sounds like an odd plan too)?

Back